Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

C2H is missing SOLVED

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When I right click on a selected function in my source code in Eclipse the "Accelerate with the Nios II C2H Compiler" option is missing. What is wrong? Is there any way to enable this?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Figured it out. Have to use NIOS II IDE, not Eclipse

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So that others know you'll also have to install the legacy Nios II tools from the Altera installer. In 11.0 I believe this is enabled by default but you do have the option to turn it off. If you turn it off the installer will not install the IDE or C2H to your drive.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

So that others know you'll also have to install the legacy Nios II tools from the Altera installer. In 11.0 I believe this is enabled by default but you do have the option to turn it off. If you turn it off the installer will not install the IDE or C2H to your drive. 

--- Quote End ---  

How to option C2H compiler and turn it on? My Nios II SBT for eclipse is 10.1 sp1, But I don't found the"Accelerate with the Nios II C2H Compiler". 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

How to option C2H compiler and turn it on? My Nios II SBT for eclipse is 10.1 sp1, But I don't found the"Accelerate with the Nios II C2H Compiler". 

Thanks. 

--- Quote End ---  

You have to run the Legacy NIOS II IDE, not the NIOS II SBT for Eclipse. 

Also, I think you have to right-click on the function name in the source code. 

Hope this helps. In my case, I can find the "Accelerate with the Nios II C2H Compiler" option but it just does not work. Nothing happens when I click it. Please try and tell about your experience
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Mrkozmic is correct, C2H has never been supported in the software build tools for Eclipse tools. You have to install the legacy tools which comes with the Nios II IDE which C2H is available from.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for reply.That's only use C2H in the Nios II IDE,not in the Nios II SBT for Eclipse.Could you tell me how to install the legacy tools? 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When you run the installer it will ask you what tools to install. If you want to use C2H make sure the legacy Nios II tools are installed. I think they are installed by default in 11.0 so you probably already have what you need installed.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

When you run the installer it will ask you what tools to install. If you want to use C2H make sure the legacy Nios II tools are installed. I think they are installed by default in 11.0 so you probably already have what you need installed. 

--- Quote End ---  

No, the Legacy tools has to be downloaded from here: 

<altera home page>/download/software/nios-ii  

At least I had to do that. Full installaton of 11.0 did not include that.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks mrkozmic. 

I found the legacy tools was not supported in the NIOS SBT for Eclipse,it is so bad.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

No, the Legacy tools has to be downloaded from here: 

<altera home page>/download/software/nios-ii  

At least I had to do that. Full installaton of 11.0 did not include that. 

--- Quote End ---  

That's correct, when you download the individual installers. I was talking about the unified installer that only downloads the bits and pieces that need to be installed.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I don't understand : 

How Altera design new ECLIPSE concept (SBT is good concept for use) but they lost very important fonctions (C2H)  

So if you want to use a very interesting tool C2H you must downgrade your tool by using a legacy old tool that is supposed to be replaced by Eclipse !!!!!! 

Is It Windows messy strategy or a joke !!!! 

How professionnel in FPGA strategic system can go so down to do so messy strategy tools ? !!!! 

Old LEGACY IDE tool for using C2H but new tool ECLIPSE for futur use !!!!! there is contradiction ! 

Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think you'll find that they are completely deprecating C2H...

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, in such a case, is Altera developing a new approach for HW acceleration?

0 Kudos