Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Can't see login prompt!!

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi: 

nios2-terminal displays messages“starting in terminal mode <control&#65293;C exit s>” but does&#39;t display log in prompt  

I found directory"/ect/" includes only six file : group, mime.types, passwd, shadow, shells, and version. is&#39;t normal??  

Who can help me? thanks!!
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There should be a file called inittab in the /etc directory with something like this: 

ttyS0:vt100:/bin/agetty 115200 ttyS0 # First serial port console 

ttyJ0:vt100:/bin/agetty 115200 ttyJ0 # First JTAG serial port console (I think you need this one) 

There should be a file called rc as well. This is the init-script for the microtronix distro. 

# ls /etc fstab            group            inetd.conf inittab          issue            mime.types       mtab           passwd           protocols        rc               services          shadow           shells           version
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi wgoossens! 

I have used command "ls /etc". Unfortunately,I still get only six files mentioned above. What is wrong? What can I do then?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

yes, I try to do something with directory "/etc" and get some files such inittab, issue, rc ....But there are not files "fstab" and "mtab". Who can tell me how to get the two files? I&#39;m very troubled http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by fodywang@Nov 16 2005, 08:29 AM 

yes, i try to do something with directory "/etc"  and get some files such inittab, issue, rc ....but there are not files "fstab" and "mtab".  who can tell me how to get the two files?  i&#39;m  very troubled  http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#emo_dir#>/sad.gif  

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=11020) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

fstab and mtab aren&#39;t crucial for your system (I don&#39;t even know if they&#39;re there by default) the just list what you "can" mount (fstab) and what is cirrently mounted (mtab) when the other files (inittab, rc) are there you should be ready to go...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

alas, 

I can‘t see login prompt so far! I want to upload my kernel to RAM dirrectly and filesystem to Flash because my flash content is only 2M. When I upload kernel to RAM with way mentioned in Linux reference guide, I found that Host COM port(Run->Run..->Target Connection->Host COM port) is invalid with selected jtag_uart (Run->Run..->Target Connection-> Nio II Terminal communication device)as Nio II Terminal communication device .When I select uart as as Nio II Terminal communication device,Host COM port can be /dev/com1 [COM1] , /dev/com2 [COM2] etc. .Who can tell me whether it results in having not login prompt??
0 Kudos