Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Can the fpga read/write EPCS?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

EPCS is directly connetcted to Cyclone. 

Can the fpga read/write EPCS after configuration? 

thanks
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, NIOS can. You need to add an 'epcs_controller' module in SOPC-builder. Altera docu 'Nios II Processor Reference Handbook' describes in chapter 12 how to do this and gives further links to HAL software usage. 

In my design the first blocks contains the FPGA configuration data and boot software. This occupies less than 4 blocks of 64k each (out of 8 in an EPCS4). The last block in device is used for storing serial number and alterable config data. 

Mike
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

The Altera EPCS configuration device connects to the FPGA through 

dedicated pins on the FPGA, not through general-purpose I/O pins. 

In my case I do not use NIOS in my design.Can I access the EPCS? 

I don't know how to access the dedicated pins! 

Thanks and Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The EPCS controller peripheral talks to the EPCS device via the dedicated pins; the EPCS device should be connected to the FPGA with these dedicated pins. The literature mentioned in the post above tells you how to use the controller to access EPCS in your Nios II software.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is there any way to visit EPCS without NIOSII?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, there is a way, but this is the Nios forum so you may do better asking in other places. 

My suggestion on how to proceed is to install the Nios II kit and look in one of the example designs, for example the 1c20 full featured design. In the verilog for the EPCS controller there is a module called tornado_epcs_controller_atom which looks as though it has the right pins on it. If you try instantiating one of those in your design then it will probably be connected up correctly by Quartus II.
0 Kudos