Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Debugger launch failure

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am working on a nios based design using a EP3C25. I was initially using the Bemicro dev board for test and debug and everything was fine, but now I am trying to work with the custom hardware and cannot get the debugger to launch. 

I can load the FPGA image via the JTAG (using USB-blaster) just fine. When I try to launch the debugger, it goes through the compile, then when launch progress reaches 57% it stalls. After about a minute, the console does report the code having been loaded: 

--- Quote Start ---  

Using cable "USB-Blaster [USB-0]", device 1, instance 0x00 

Resetting and pausing target processor: OK 

Reading System ID at address 0x00022000: verified 

Initializing CPU cache (if present) 

OK 

Downloading 00010000 ( 0%) 

Downloaded 19KB in 0.3s (63.3KB/s) 

Verifying 00010000 ( 0%) 

Verified OK  

Leaving target processor paused 

--- Quote End ---  

At this point a pop up window says: 

--- Quote Start ---  

Error starting gdbserver - see console for details 

--- Quote End ---  

And in the console: 

--- Quote Start ---  

Using cable "USB-Blaster [USB-0]", device 1, instance 0x00 

Processor is already paused 

Reading System ID at address 0x00022000: verified 

Listening on port 4720 for connection from GDB: timed out 

Leaving target processor paused 

--- Quote End ---  

There is a 60 second countdown before the listening port times out. During this whole process the blue light on the USB-blaster is on, and it stays on after the process has timed out. 

If I just try to run the code, it again hangs up at 57% for about a minute, but then loads the code and the nios begins running it. However, the blue light again is on continuously during this process and after it completes. 

I found the erata for an older version of the nios IDE that suggested disabling antivirus software, but it makes no difference with this problem  

Does anyone know what could cause this?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I found what was causing the problem. It turns out that, at least on my PC, the Arrow usb blaster driver for the Bemicro dev board was conflicting with the standard usb-blaster driver. Once I removed the arrow usb blaster driver, I was able to launch the debugger with the custom hardware.

0 Kudos