Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Libc Version : none

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello 

Following the guide uClinuxDist, i am in the menu (make menuconfig). 

I wonder why do i have to select "Libc Version" to "none" ? 

Actually, if no library is available in the kernel, no programs (compiled separatly) will run on the embedded board.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The NoMMU version of uCLinux NIOS does not support so libraries, so there is no "compiled separately".  

-Michael
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think i have understand, Michael. 

There is no dynamic library (.so) in the NoMMU version of uCLinux for NIOSII because we select none in the libc menu. 

So the programs that will run on the board can't use dynamic libraries. They have to use a static library : the uclibc compiled with the cross toolchain, the uclibc library archive (.a). 

And the resulting compilation of the program is so bigger than with dynamic libraries. 

Is it right ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

AFGAIK, this is correct, but with small embedded devices there there usually are not many different programs (Busybox help to make this happen). And the combined size of a dynamically linked program and the necessary so files usually is a lot bigger than the statically linked program. So here dynamical linking does not make much sense. 

-Michael
0 Kudos