Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

NIOS II and DE2-70

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a DE2-70 board that I was given and am wanting to use the NIOS II processor on. The tutorials that are on the Altera website all refer to an older version of the cyclone 2 processor. This board has the EP2C70 on it. Will this be an issue when doing the tutorials? I know the FPGA supports it, but what about all of the external hardware...memory for instance. It was mentioned to look up what IP to use to interface with my board's specific memory, but I don't have the guide it references. Can someone point me in the right direction? I'm a little over my head right now.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Go to www.terasic.com to download the latest project files for this board. Included will be the schematics of the board along with the datasheets of the components used on the board and a manual. The EP2C70 will have enough logic on it to do just about anything you throw at it, so doing the tutorials will not be a problem. Until you write a bunch of large custom IP modules, you probably won't even use 15% of the logic available, even with a multi-processor configuration. This is a really good board. Have fun. 

Nails
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the help. I was a little scatter brained when I wrote that. What I was really concerned with was how do I create parts to interface with external hardware devices that don't come with IP in the library and aren't available online. However, I found the tutorials that explain exactly that. Thanks for pointing me to the files for the board.

0 Kudos