Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12610 Discussions

NiosII program always reboot & need USB blaster

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The NiosII's program is located in the onchip_memory. So I generate the SOF file with the onchip_memory.hex file and use it for downloading the FPGA. The FPGA starts but the program sems to be always reseted and when I disconnect the USB blaster it stops. My design sends messages on hyperterminal with an UART and I can see the well coming message always displayed. I use QuartusII9.1 sp1 and NiosIIe without debugger. 

The program works well when I use IDE Eclipse to download it. 

Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do you have a watchdog? 

Do you have a JTAG Uart in your system? 

Is your sof time-limited?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't have watchdog or Jtag UART (only 3 poi 1 flash controller 1 UART232 & 1 onchipmemory). I use niosII/e & the SOF isn't time limited. I have just find a problem with the functions I used to access to the flash. When I remove all these functions the Nios program didn't reboot anymore, but I always need the USB Blaster. I noticed that the function alt_epcs_flash_init() didn't work when I used the Nios IDE to download the program but it works when the program is storaged in the onchip_memory with the hex file. I'm doing others test to understand. Thanks  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In fact I needed to force the epcs_flash_programmer in the altera_avalon_epcs_f.c file. The access to flash is ok and alt_epcs_flash_init() didn't work (as previously). Does anybody know the differences between the functions of the altera_avalon_epcs_f.c file and epcs_commands.c. It remains only the pb with the USB blaster.

0 Kudos