Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12607 Discussions

booting with jtag uart console

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I am really new in sopc builder and quartus, I have a bloc with (cpu, onchip memory, sys id, pio, onchip memory 2), I created a small code C in eclipse and I try to compile my nios 2 in modelsim, I load the project without any problem and I have the jtag uart console by typing jtag_uart_console but I dont have any thing there, and I don't know what write on the console to drive the nios 2. 

please if someone can help me, I am really new in all this ... 

pleaaaaaaaaase help 

I am using quartus 10.1 and modelsim 6.6c 

I tried to define the properties of psb. 

Thank you :)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you add the jtag uart component to your SOPC builder project? It isn't in the list. 

The standard C functions like printf() and scanf() can be used to interact with the console.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thank you for your replay, yes I have a jtag uart, and I am able to open the jtag_uart_drive console. but I don't know what write on the console and how can I know that I am executing the code.c writen in sopc builder. 

thank you again
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

pleaaase if someone can help me :):):)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

if in your software you add printf() calls, it will display something in the nios console. For the other way round, what you have to type in the console really depends on your software.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I want just to display the "hello word", I run the simulation for 800 us bu noting was displayed on my console :s

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

may be the simulation takes more time than 800 us to enter to my main and do the printf "hello word"

0 Kudos