Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12608 Discussions

communicating custom component to the outside

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi  

I've created a SOPC system, that includes: 

- CPU 

- PLL 

- SDRAM Controller 

- JTAG UART 

- A custom component, called "full classifier" 

Further, "Full classifier" is comprised by: 

- An Ethernet Packet Generator 

- A FIFO Queue, where packets are placed 

- A module called "uplink", which interacts with a C software that is into the SDRAM memory (I'm working on a DE2 Development Board). 

So far, so good. I mean, the software does what I want. 

The thing is.. I'd like to have some pins at my custom component, which interact with the LED panel, without using a PIO. I mean, I need to switch on the leds by means of a direct connection. 

How could I do that?? 

I hope to have been clear enough. Thanks a lot!!!!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Your custom SOPC component can 'export' control signals, and they will show up at the top-level of your SOPC system. You can then directly connect those signals to your LEDs, eg. for RX/TX indicators. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yeah.. but if I want to add a signal to export, I can't use an HDL-based component. 

Correct me if I'm wrong. 

greetings.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

DWH means to export them using a conduit interface. For example if your custom component has a slave port but also needs to hook up to logic outside of your system you would include a slave interface as well as a conduit interface. In SOPC Builder conduit interfaces are exported by default. You can jam as many signals into the conduit as you like. If you are familiar with the PIO component it behaves similarly where the slave port is connected to a master but the PIO external interface is assigned to a conduit so that it exports to the top.

0 Kudos