Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

compact flash problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm working on the nios II cyclone board card.But I need to suppress the cf interface.So I did it in SOPC builder. 

Then I need to implement linux in the nios board card.So I configured the kernel disableing "ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support" and I built the kernel and the files system and I uploaded them in the nios. But when I open the shell SDK window, I cannot log on in Linux. I don't know why.Everything seems to be all rigth.I tried to do the same project but including the cf and it works. 

Does the problem comes from the support I've disabled? 

If somebody can help me, it'll be great! 

Thanks, Dior.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can you post the kernel booting message here?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Wentao,  

Here is the kernel booting message: 

"Welcome to Altera SOPC Builder 

Version 4.20, Built Tue Nov 2 09:42:35 PST 2004 

Welcome to the Nios II Development Kit 

Version 1.1, Built Wed Nov 24 20:13:46 PSt 2004 

Example designs can be found in 

\cygdrive\c\altera\kits\nios2\examples 

<Executing user startup script: c:/altera/kits/nios2/user.bashrc 

Microtronix Linux Extensions 

Version 1.3, Built December 30th 2004 

\cygdrive\c\altera\kits\nios2\examples 

[SOPC Builder]$ nios2-terminal 

nios2-terminal: connected to hardware targetusing JTAG nios2-terminal: UART on cable 

nios2-terminal: "ByteBlasterII [LPT1], device 1, instance 0 

nios2-terminal: Warning: The JTAG cable you are usingis not suported for Nios II systems. You may experience intermittent JTAG communication failures with this cable. Please use a USB Blaster revision B cable or another supported cable. Please refer to the file errata.txt included in the Nios II development kit documents directory for more information. 

nios2-terminal: starting in terminal mode<Control-C exits> " 

And it stops, wheareas when it works I&#39;ve exactly the same message but after the last ligne, it starts linux.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry, I mean the kernel booting messages generated by Linux itself, not by the local client on your PC. Those messages started with: 

uClinux/Nios II Altera Nios II support (C) 2004 Microtronix Datacom Ltd. Built 1 zonelists ........ 

If you post those messages, we should be able to find out what was wrong during the booting.  

BTW, what is your kernel console, uart or jtag?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

TO_BE_DONE

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Sylvain,  

You must have your kernel console directed to your uart. Change your kernel configuration: 

device drivers ---> character devices ---> serial drivers < > 8250/16550 and compatible serial support --- Non-8250 serial port support Nios serial support    Support for console on Nios UART <*> Altera JTAG UART support    Support for console on Altera JTAG UART 

Then you will be able to see the booting messages on JTAG.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi wentao, 

Sorry, but I&#39;ve checked the kernel configuration and the kernel console isn&#39;t directed to the UART but to the JTAG like you showed it in the code.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div> 

--- Quote Start ---  

Sorry, but I&#39;ve checked the kernel configuration and the kernel console isn&#39;t directed to the UART but to the JTAG like you showed it in the code.[/b] 

--- Quote End ---  

All good. Can you post your kernel booting message then?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Wentao, 

Once again, this is the point of my problem. I cannot obtain the kernel booting message. The NiosII SDK shell window cannot display the kernel booting message and I don&#39;t know why. I&#39;ve this problem only when I worked on a quartus project where the cf is removed.
0 Kudos