Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

lwip on nios

Msg06484
Beginner

Hi,

I have a custom board with a Marvell 88E1512 ethernet transceiver

I am using Quartus 18.1 and have tried many configurations of connecting the tse to the nios.

I can get the lwip to come up and start to work.

I can run it in both static ip and hdcp mode.

in static it gets stuck at- (static)

[ethernet] PHY INFO: Interface: 0 Waiting for PHY
[ethernet] PHY INFO: [PHY ID] 0x0 141 dd1
[ethernet] PHY INFO: Issuing PHY Reset
[ethernet] PHY INFO: Waiting on PHY link...
[ethernet] PHY INFO: PHY link detected, allowing network to start.
[ethernet] Using Ethernet MAC address 00:07:ed:ff:68:b0 for interface: 0
[ethernet] Static IP Address for interface 0 192.168.1.120
Waiting for link... OK
[ethernet] Acquired IP address via DHCP client for interface: e0
[ethernet] IP address : 192.168.1.120
[ethernet] Subnet : 255.255.255.0
[ethernet] Gateway : 192.168.1.1
[lwip_eth0] up
Starting socket test interface.
socket returns 16
Binding socket
Listening for socket
Waiting for new client

If I watch this on wireshark on a dedicated port on the back of my pc with no other connections, I see transactions but none of them have my ip address as specified in ethernet.c 192.168.1.120

If I change to dhcp with *use_dhcp = 1; in ethernet.c

I get 

[ethernet] PHY INFO: Interface: 0 Waiting for PHY
[ethernet] PHY INFO: [PHY ID] 0x0 141 dd1
[ethernet] PHY INFO: Issuing PHY Reset
[ethernet] PHY INFO: Waiting on PHY link...
[ethernet] PHY INFO: PHY link detected, allowing network to start.
[ethernet] Using Ethernet MAC address 00:07:ed:ff:68:b0 for interface: 0
[ethernet] Starting get IP via DHCP for interface 0
Waiting for link... OK
[LwIP] Start DHCP request...
[LwIP] Waiting for DHCP IP address...

If I watch this on wireshark on a dedicated port on the back of my pc with no other connections, I see transactions but none of them have my mac address as specified in ethernet.c

mac_addr[0] = 0x00;
mac_addr[1] = 0x07;
mac_addr[2] = 0xED;
mac_addr[3] = 0xFF;
mac_addr[4] = 0x68;
mac_addr[5] = 0xB0 + iface;

I have seen instances where I connect it to the network with a dhcp server and it is broadcasting with an ip of 0.0.0.0

If I start the emulator the traffic on wireshark does change; but searching for my mac or ip yields no results.

Intel/Altera is no help they just tell me to change everything every time I ask a question.  With every version of Altera there are more and more incompatibilities.

I fear that this is something at the qsys connection level.

I have provided the qsys as is because I have tried so many versions, but I am not an expert on the sgdma or the tse and how they all interact.

This is in Quartus 18.1

I would really like to make some progress on this.

If anyone can please help that would be great.

I'm not sure where to even look anymore

Thanks,

Martin

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

Greetings and welcome to Intel's forum.

Please give me some time to check on this issue and will get back to you with the update.

Thank you.

Regards,

Fathulnaim

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

If you don't mind, we would need the Quartus project file too. You can send us the archived (.qar). If cannot, then we would need to see the any error you facing before or after generating the qsys hdl. I checked the .qsys you attached and got some error as did not have the project file.

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Need to have the project file to avoid these error in order to check your issue better.

wwanalim_intel_0-1701420985308.png

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

Do you have any updates to share about this issue?

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

Do you have any recent updates for me to help identify the issue?

0 Kudos
Msg06484
Beginner

The sgdma memory was not connected to the SRAM bus properly, once I connected that it worked.  See the file below.

The unfortunate thing now is that I need to start two sessions of ping because it appears that the first ping is being buffered and timing out, but with two pings, the second ping pushes the first through some pipeline and vice versa.

I also see that the rand function is not being set properly in lwip because of something called doxygen

I installed doxygen, but that reports and error of :lwip-master/doc/doxygen/main_page.h:107: error: unable to resolve reference to 'altcp_api' for \ref command (warning treated as error, aborting now)

When I run the batch file included in lwip.

Everything seems quite flaky and not complete.

In addition I am not getting updates when this message is changed so I did not see you had written to it.

Sorry,

Martin

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Thank you for sharing the project file. Please give me some time to check on it and will get back to you with the update.

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

I am reviewing your .qar design file. While attempting to restore and compile it, I encountered an error. Could you please confirm the version of Quartus you are using and provide the build version number? I'd like to ensure that I open the file using the same Quartus version as yours to troubleshoot the issue.

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

This is the error I got while attempting to compile the design and compilation is unsuccessful. 

wwanalim_intel_0-1702308212946.png

To check on the Quartus build number,  in the Quartus you can click on Help tab > About Quartus Prime . 

wwanalim_intel_1-1702308382424.png

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

Hi,

Do you have any updates to share about this issue?

0 Kudos
wwanalim_intel
Employee

As we do not receive any response from you on the previous question/reply/answer that we have provided. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

0 Kudos