Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

nios2-flash-programmer ERROR

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

I have custom board with following specification: 

Flash memory: S29GL064M90TAIRO 

FPGA: Startix with NiosII  

EPM7128 - configuration controller 

Board design similar to Stratix development kit 

1. I created board specification with mk_target_board utility - "new_board" 

2. I created testing design with "new_board" target 

3. nios2-flash-programmer (from cmd line and from IDE) cause following error: 

nios2-flash-programmer --input=user.flash --sof=`C:/altera/quartus41/sopc_builder/bin/find_sopc_component_dir abd`/system/abd.sof --device=1 "--cable='USB-Blaster '" --base=0x00800000 21.1.2005 14:42:24 - (INFO) nios2-flash-programmer: Launching Quartus Programmer to download:     c:/altera/kits/nios2/components/abd/system/abd.sof Send (64) failed. Unable to synchronize with target. 21.1.2005 14:43:07 - (SEVERE) nios2-flash-programmer: Error opening target hardware 

and later nios2-flash-programmer report 

make: *** Error 6 

Testing design works fine, but I can't flash it.  

Is there any CFI flash software driver for testing conection between FPGA and FLASH ? 

Or any idea what should be tested? 

Jan
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can you make the following test: 

- download your fpga.sof with quartus programmer to fpga. 

- run the memory test program from ALTERA,(ide -> new projects -> project template -> memory test) 

from ram with the debugger.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by fischer@Jan 21 2005, 11:15 AM 

can you make the following test: 

- download your fpga.sof with quartus programmer to fpga. 

- run the memory test program from altera,(ide -> new projects -> project template -> memory test) 

from ram with the debugger. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi,  

All memory (FLASH, SDRAM, SRAM) tests OK. 

Has someone flash downloader code for free?  

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

pleskacj, 

I also get the error:  

Send (64) failed. 

Unable to synchronize with target. 

In my case I do not have any flash at all, only the EPCS configuration device? 

Have you had any luck curing the problem? 

so far, I am getting advice from the software forum....  

http://www.niosforum.com/forum/index.php?a...=st&f=17&t=1033 (http://www.niosforum.com/forum/index.php?act=st&f=17&t=1033

For the moment, it is still a problem.... http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif  

joe
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

1. FLASH memory used in our board doesn&#39;t support byte write mode, only write buffer mode in opposit of AMD FLASH memory used in Altera&#39;s kits. 

Nios2-flash-programmer support only byte write mode. Fischer (the man which answered my question on this forum) had similar problem and Altera answered him that sw tools are not compatible with this memory.  

2. I have no evidence that Nios software of flash programmer design is correct. I suppose, that GERMS monitor in Nios firmware have to be accessible from nios2 terminal utility commands. But I didn&#39;t test this functionality. 

3. I don&#39;t know what exactly "send(64) Unable to synchro... and later error 6" they means. I&#39;m still waiting for Altera support answers. I don&#39;t know, on which side error is - nios or pc software. 

4. I have no time, to solve this problem nowadays. But I think, that new flash software driver have to be written and integrated into nios2-germs monitor software. 

I&#39;ll monitoring information about this problem, I suppose, that we have to solved this problem in second half this year. 

New information about this problem you&#39;ll see there. 

Jan
0 Kudos