OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1718 Discussions

Consistent device ordering from clGetDeviceIDs?

Sean_S_3
Beginner

Hi,

When I run a basic OpenCL hello world on my Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU containing Intel HD Graphics 4000, I query and select the Intel platform, then query the devices and select the first device, and proceed.  I just noticed this for the first time, but on some runs I get the CPU, and on others I get the GPU.  Is that to be expected?  What are the rules regarding this behavior, as I don't see it discussed in the OpenCL specification.  I guess that devices may not be consistently ordered between application executions (as I'm witnessing), but I'm concerned that within an application if the order could change unexpectantly.  Would someone please clarify this for me?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Raghupathi_M_Intel

We are aware of the issue and it will be fixed in a future release and will notify here.

Raghu

0 Kudos
Sean_S_3
Beginner

Hi,

With the release of the Intel OpenCL SDK R3, can you confirm if this issue has been resolved or not?  My quick test doesn't show the issue anymore, but I'd like a more concrete answer.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Sean_S_3
Beginner

I can confirm this is still an issue with CL_DRIVER_VERSION 10.18.10.3345.

0 Kudos
Maxim_S_Intel
Employee

Generally, it is better to rely on the Device Type (clCreateContextFromType), not the device order.

0 Kudos