OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1718 Discussions

Coupling of OpenCL runtime versions between CPU and GPU drivers

Jan_S_1
Beginner

I am trying to compare OpenCL kernel performance on some different CPUs, and I would like to use the same device version for this. For the machines that don't have an Intel GPU, I am using the CPU only runtime (3.0.1.15216), which makes the CPU Device report "OpenCL 1.2 (Build 80752)" as the version. That's all fine and good. But one of my machines is an i7-4700EQ with 4600 Graphics. I understand that for this machine, the CPU device support is also provided through the Graphics driver. The latest graphics driver I can find (10.18.10.3412) seems to have an older CPU driver associate with it: The CPU device reports device driver version 3.0.1.10878, the device version is "OpenCL 1.2 (Build 76413)". This seems substantially older.

So here's my question: Is there anything I can do to get a newer driver for the CPU device, or am I stuck with waiting for the Graphics driver to catch up to where the CPU only runtime is now? Or should I downgrade the CPU driver on my other test machines? It would be really good to compare apples and apples here.

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Raghupathi_M_Intel

You can separately download and install the OpenCL CPU runtime. For example, on the page http://software.intel.com/en-us/vcsource/tools/opencl-sdk, you will see the paragraph

"The SDK also supports OpenCL on the CPU with 1st and 2nd generations of Intel Core processors. On these platforms a CPU only OpenCL runtime is available through separated download (Download 64-bit here, and 32-bit here)"

0 Kudos
Jan_S_1
Beginner

Thank you Raghu, I saw the paragraph in the documentation, but as I was dealing with a 4th generation Core, I didn't think it was applicable. So I installed the CPU-only runtime on top of one provided by the graphics driver, and it informed me it was updating the CPU driver. Now all is good, problem solved, thank you!

0 Kudos