OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1719 Discussions

HD Processor Graphics failed to load as a device in Code Samples

ardiyu07
Beginner
I'm using i7-3770K Ivy Bridge with HD 4000, and I've installed the latest drivers and the newest OpenCL SDK.

When tried to run the code samples with CPU, it works just fine. However, when I set the '-g' parameter to run with the processing graphics, the device cannot be found hence it exited with code -1 (which is likely caused by failing to create a CL context).

SimpleOptimization, GodRays, and all codes that support Intel Processor Graphics failed to run with the HD4000.

I am using Windows 7 64-bit, MSVS VC++ 2008 express edition.

How do I solve this problem?
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Maxim_S_Intel
Employee

More info, I also have an nvidia card on my system which runs as the graphical driver, do you think if I detach this card will fix my problem?

Likely this is the actual root-cause. Currently Processor Graphics OCL device in unavailable in the "headless" configuration (without a monitor plugged in).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Maxim_S_Intel
Employee
Hi,
I suggest you first check the IntelOpenCL platform is installed correctly, and Processor Graphics device is available.
You may change any sample to output the list of devices, you might also want to use free tools like GPU Caps Viewer to check the platform. Example of how Processor Graphics device should look like is below:
http://www.geeks3d.com/20120427/intel-ivy-bridge-hd-graphics-4000-gpu-opengl-and-opencl-tests/3/

You can also walk thru a sample in the debugger to check the exact place where the error happens.
0 Kudos
ardiyu07
Beginner
Hi Maxim,
Thank you for replying me.
First of all, I'm quiet sure that I have installed Intel OpenCL platform, because I can run the code samples with CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU just fine.
GPU Caps Viewer also could not detect Intel HD Graphics as the Intel OpenCL device, what should I do? :(
By the way, when I run DirectX SDK code samples, the Intel HD 4000 was detected perfectly and it run the code just fine with the HD Graphics.
More info, I also have an nvidia card on my system which runs as the graphical driver, do you think if I detach this card will fix my problem?
0 Kudos
Maxim_S_Intel
Employee

Likely this is the actual root-cause. Currently Processor Graphics OCL device in unavailable in the "headless" configuration (without a monitor plugged in).
0 Kudos
ardiyu07
Beginner
That did it, thanks!

By the way can you file it as a suggestion for the next OpenCL SDK? It'd be good if we don't have to plug monitor cable back and forth just to use the HD Graphics for OpenCL device..
0 Kudos
Timofey_C_
Beginner

Same symptoms here, but no other GPUs installed in the system. HD 4000 driver version is 9.17.10.2932. Thoughts?

0 Kudos
onizuka
Beginner

any updates

0 Kudos