OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1719 Discussions

State of Headless Mode HD Graphics OpenCL

Florian_H_1
Beginner

Hi,

What's the current (driver) state of accessing the compute capabilities of the an integrated HD graphics processor with OpenCL when there is NO display connected? I do not see the my HD 4000 when the display is connected to the discreet GPU.  

Driver version: 10.18.10.4252

Is there any software hack to this (not the dummy plug solution) ?

Thanks,

Florian

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Yes, looks like an Ivy Bridge bug. I'll try to get driver folks to fix this.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
28 Replies
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Hi Florian,

Good news! The driver for HD4000 will be patched and with some luck should make it into the production around October 9th.

0 Kudos
Florian_H_1
Beginner

Robert -

I have to say I will be impressed and looking forward to it.

For now, thanks a lot for you time and responsiveness.

Florian

0 Kudos
Florian_H_1
Beginner

Robert, do you have any news on this?

0 Kudos
Robert_I_Intel
Employee

Florian, unfortunately, no news. I was expecting a new driver in October, but unfortunately, nobody tells me what the external driver release schedule is: from all appearances it is kind of random.

0 Kudos
Warrick_B_
Beginner

I amongst others have the same usage case as Florian.  The fact that headless OpenCL was not available out of the gate was dare I say it very short sighted.

Why can this not be supported on Windows7? I don't believe at all that is a Windows 7 or hardware limitation for one second - especially as this is OpenCL we are talking about.

To make it crystal clear and blunt from a game developers engine writers perspective you should expect we want to target:

1) A discrete gaming GPU with OpenGL4.4+ that is either nVidia or AMD

2) An Intel CPU that has SSE4.2+, and integrated GPU that supports headless OpenCL1.2+ or OpenGL that we can use _at_the_same_time_ as the discrete GPU

3) 64bit Windows 7 - it's going to be a viable option for a long time yet

4) We don't want to use OpenCL on your CPU's as we are quite happy beating that with intrinsics

You only have to look at the Steam hardware survey to see why this makes sense going forward, and why the drivers should allow a seamless user end experiences from this.  Otherwise you have effectively rendered a large part of common gamers hardware completely useless for no real reason.

Then we will move to support Vulkan as it becomes available in conjunction with this, with the preferred but not required OS being Windows 10.  This is the most sensible path for developers that don't want to be tied into DirectX12 or OpenGL+CUDA right now.

Despite the DirectX12/Vulkan hype the future where consumers can still get value out of their hardware even after they add new upgrades has been here for a while but it's needless issues like this that have prevented it.

Please let us use the hardware you have produced and sold to many of our consumers.

0 Kudos
allanmac1
Beginner

I'm on a Win10 (v1511) workstation with a headless HD4600 running the beta HD Graphics driver and a variety of other discrete GPUs.

The headless HD4600 is visible in the OpenCL Code Builder and I can compile, run and analyze kernels.

opencl.png

0 Kudos
Florian_H_1
Beginner

@allanmac: If you read this thread you'll see that the issue is with 3rd gen chips (HD4000). 

0 Kudos
allanmac1
Beginner

@florian, got it.  

I just upgraded to Win10/1511 and was pleased to see that headless CL is working again.  There was a short period of time when it worked in Win7 but that was over a year ago.

The old hack that worked for a while was pressing Windows-P and selecting an option other than "PC Screen Only".  

As I'm sure you know, there is a beta driver for 4th gen but unfortunately I don't see anything for 3rd gen yet. :|

0 Kudos