OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1719 Discussions

Using IGP resources in parallel with external video

Mikhail_Smirnov
Beginner
Hi,
My idea is to use external graphic card for connecting monitor ang IGP HD 4000 (on CI7-3770) or HD3000 (on CI7-2600) for parallel computing support using OpenCL. Is it possible? What system configuration I should use?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Alexander_Heinecke
I think it's not possible as the GPU cannot not be accessed in headless mode. I have a i7-3770K with a GTX680. When I'm using GT2, I make iGPU my primary GPU (boot from IGPU).

Alex
0 Kudos
Mikhail_Smirnov
Beginner
It's a pity:(
0 Kudos
Raghupathi_M_Intel
Hi Mikhail,

We are aware of this limitation and looking into this. Unfortunately I dont have any more details at this point.

Raghu
0 Kudos
Mikhail_Smirnov
Beginner
Hi Raghu, looking forward hearing news from you.
0 Kudos
Raghupathi_M_Intel
I found out more about the issue. Theoritically this is supposed to work _if_ you are in a hybrid mode - meaning you have Intel's Processor graphics and have a discrete card - with both the drivers installed and using the discrete as your primary adapter. Currently this is not working and we are working on a fix in the driver.

Now, if you have switchable graphics then the proxy driver comes from the discrete graphics card vendor and that's a different story.

Can you let me know what your configuration is and whether your system has switchable graphics?

Thanks,
Raghu
0 Kudos
Mikhail_Smirnov
Beginner
I have Ci-7 3770 with external nVidia card. Display is connected to nVidia. My idea was to use IGP for calculation of my algorythm. I have Linux and Win7. I'm not sure i have IGP drivers installed, i'll check. Ans this is desktop, so no switchable graphics, i think...
0 Kudos