OpenCL* for CPU
Ask questions and share information on Intel® SDK for OpenCL™ Applications and OpenCL™ implementations for Intel® CPU.
Announcements
This forum covers OpenCL* for CPU only. OpenCL* for GPU questions can be asked in the GPU Compute Software forum. Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™ questions can be ask in the FPGA Intel® High Level Design forum.
1719 Discussions

gtpinrun fails with error "unsupported driver version 'intel-open' "

liu__yuxi
Beginner

Hi there,

I want to use gtpin tool to profile my OpenCL program on HD 500 GPU. When I ran "gtpinrun latency -opencl -- my_program.exe", I got the following error:

GTPin ERROR !!
OCL_PROGRAM_BINARY::Read(): Unsupported driver version "intel-open"

at: /tmp_proj/gtpin/workspace/nightly-master/build-centos72-opencl/GTPin/Src/gtpin/ocl.cpp:462 Read
GTPIN WARNING: GTPin didn't find any kernels... Exiting without doing anything.

I have successfully installed Media SDK and vtune tool on my platform, with kernel version 4.14.20-mss-pv5 on ubuntu 16.04. Could you tell me how to fix it? Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Michael_C_Intel1

Hi YuxiL,

Thanks for the interest.

• Could you give a few more details?
    • Can you comment on the media SDK revision you have checked out? What version of vtune?
    • How you've deployed Intel Graphics Compute Runtime for OpenCL driver?
    • From where/how did you aquire, deploy, and run gtpin...? Can you provide a reference
    • It looks like you're on CentOS but can you supply the details listed in the forum guidance? What CPU sku are you running on?
      • *Edit* Ubuntu... sorry conflated the source feedback from GTPin with your stated Ubuntu system.
    • Is Intel Graphics enabled in the system bios?

Looking forward,

-MichaelC

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel1

Hi YuxiL,

Quick update for this thread...

To preload a solution for your goals see the Intel® VTune™ Amplifier setup guidance for Intel® Graphics Tehcnology performance monitoring . It may be that your system kernel needs to be configured for monitoring as described in the article. It states kernel params needed for enablement are: 

CONFIG_EXPERT=y

CONFIG_FTRACE=y

CONFIG_DEBUG_FS=y

CONFIG_DRM_I915_LOW_LEVEL_TRACEPOINTS=y

Users can check for kernel feature status like so:

cat /boot/config-`uname -r` | grep CONFIG_DRM_I915_LOW_LEVEL_TRACEPOINTS

You may also benefit from this discussion on the NEO github.

Thanks,

-MIchaelC

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel1

Hi YuxiL,

After some more feedback... recommendation is to stick to the supported method for profiling through Intel® VTune™ Amplifier. Usage of gtpinrun is not supported. Gtpinrun may be removed in future iterations of the suites.

Hopefully, the guidance above can get the monitoring capability sought.

The Intel® VTune™ Amplifier tool has received a lot of GUI helper changes in 2019 and has command line features. Check the guide for more information.

-MichaelC

0 Kudos
liu__yuxi
Beginner

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the late reply.

• The media SDK version is 'MediaServerStudioProfessional2018R2', and vtune version is "vtune_amplifier_2019_update4".
  • I have deployed the Intel Graphics Compute Runtime, following the guidance here. The version I installed is "19.12".
  • I want to follow this work using GTPin to characterize intel GPU's performance, and I found gtpin tool has already been provided in the intel opencl sdk studio. So I use gtpinrun tool locating in the path /opt/intel/system_studio_2019/opencl/SDK/bin/GTPin.
  • The CPU I used is Celeron N3450. I use the ubuntu 16.04 os, while I have rebuilt the kernel in order to install Media SDK following tips in the attachment, and the kernel version is "4.14.20-mss-pv5".
  • I'm sure Intel Graphics is enabled in the bois, I have successfully ran the sgemm benchmark.
  • I'm sure these kernel configs have been set in the /boot/config-`uname -r`.

Do you mean that gtpin will not be supported in the future? Vtune amplifier is the only correct way to profile opencl kernel? Thank you.

-Yuxi Liu

0 Kudos
Michael_C_Intel1

Yuxi Liu,

Thanks again for the interest.

The GTPin facilities are not supported for direct use at this time. Unfortunately, I can't comment on future support plans. Please consider using Intel® VTune™ Amplifier for the performance monitoring capability. 

-MichaelC

0 Kudos