Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14718 Discussions

12 Gen Intel Processor works better with Windows 11?

Bcooney
Beginner

Hello,

The processor I currently have is a Processor 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700K, 3600 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 20 Logical Processor(s).  Since building this PC, I've had multiple "Driver Verifer DMA Violation" BSODs.  I've tried everything I could thing of to updating BIOS, reinstalling drivers, checking for corrupted Windows files, doing a memory test on my RAM,  and switching out my peripherals one by one.

I came across someone who had a similar issue who solved it by upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11.  They claim that 12th gen processors were built more for Windows 11 than 10.  Is there any truth to this claim?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Did you install the chipset device software (from your motherboard/system manufacturer) immediately after installing windows 11?

If not, you should.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[If you find any Intel driver you might need, download and save it now.]

0 Kudos
Bcooney
Beginner

Hello,

I'm currently still on Windows 10.  I've been thinking about reinstalling Windows 10, but I was considering upgrading to 11 first to see if that would fix my problem.  My motherboard is a MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 and I just confirmed that I do have the Intel chipset drivers installed.  I only encounter this BSOD when playing games and I can tell when its about to crash as odd things begin to happen such as: audio cuts out, keyboard/mouse stops responding or repeats the last input pressed, and other things.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I would start testing the memory, or trying different memory.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[If you find any Intel driver you might need, download and save it now.]

0 Kudos
Bcooney
Beginner

I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic tools on both sticks of RAM and it didn't find any issues with it.  I guess it wouldn't hurt to buy two new sticks of ram and seeing if the problem continues.  

0 Kudos
H_Mlysgeek
New Contributor I

hello there Bcooney,,,

It sounds like you've taken proactive steps to troubleshoot the issue, including updating the BIOS, reinstalling drivers, checking for corrupted Windows files, performing a memory test on your RAM, and isolating peripherals.

About your inquiry regarding upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11, while it's true that newer hardware like the 12th Gen Intel® Core™ processors are optimized for the latest operating systems, including Windows 11, there's no definitive guarantee that upgrading to Windows 11 will resolve the specific issue you're experiencing.

However, upgrading to Windows 11 could potentially provide access to newer features and optimizations that may better support your hardware configuration. Before proceeding with the upgrade, I recommend ensuring that your system meets the minimum requirements for Windows 11 and considering any potential compatibility issues with your existing software and peripherals.

Additionally, if you haven't already, I suggest reaching out to Microsoft Support or you can visit this Intel link: BSOD.

Regards,

Harry

0 Kudos