Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14722 Discussions

14900K stability issues

Ben21
Beginner

I am running a 14900K on a Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX with 64GB DDR5. 

When I apply BIOS defaults (note latest available BIOS), the system will routinely experience errors in any application using AVX2 instructions.  Running Intel XTU AVX2 stress test will yield a failed result even at the BIOS default values.  Note that this is even without enabling XMP - the failure is identical whether XMP is enabled or not.

When I try to limit power using XTU, limiting ICC Max to 307A and PL1/PL2 to 253W seems to clear up the stability issues.  However, looking at XTU, the system will never reach PL1/2 (so, not Power Limit throttling) when running AVX2 stress test.  Rather, it is exclusively limited by Current/EDP throttling.

Note that during these tests CPU temperature according to XTU is in the mid 60's and power is ~180W.

Also interesting is the fact that, even at idle, with Package TDP reported as under 10W by XTU, I see periodic current/EDP limit throttling suggesting that the CPU is seeing a large current spike (though without a corresponding increase in measured TDP).  This Current/EDP limit throttling sometimes lasts for many seconds.  Again w/o any increase in measured TDP or heat.

B

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Ben21
Beginner

I guess the main questions here are: 

1) I would expect that loading the default values would be the safest operating mode for the CPU.  What are next steps to diagnose the failure? 

2) Is the periodic Current/EDP throttling at idle a concern?  Does this indicate a problem with a particular part  (E.g. cpu, mobo, PSU)

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello Ben21

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. We would be more than glad to help you with your issue.

In order to have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

·      Please download and scan your system using our tool, Intel® System Support Utility so we can help check your system info first. Once finished downloading, open the tool, click on scan 'Everything', click next, then save the system information to a .txt file. Please provide the .txt file.

This document will be necessary to check your entire system, in order to find possible errors or incompatibilities.

Regarding your questions:

1. Loading default values is generally considered the safest operating mode for the CPU. To diagnose the failure, please:
  • Check for any available BIOS updates or patches addressing AVX2-related issues.
    • Verify if Intel or the motherboard manufacturer (Gigabyte) recommends specific settings or updates for AVX2 stability.
    • Consider testing the system with a different CPU (if available -  Scenarios for Using a Processor Swap Test to Help Isolate an Issue) to isolate the issue.
    • Monitor system logs for error messages or warnings that may offer additional insights.

1. Periodic Current/EDP throttling at idle is a concern. This could indicate an issue with the CPU, motherboard, or power supply unit (PSU). To address this:
  • Check for unusual spikes in power supply voltage that may trigger Current/EDP throttling.
    • Test the system with a different PSU to eliminate power supply issues.

Best regards,

Isaac Q.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello Ben21,

We hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Isaac Q.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello Ben21,

We hope you are doing fine.

We have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Isaac Q.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos