Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14553 Discussions

14900KF overheating?

Bomber
Beginner

I am running a 14900KF and most of the time it runs fine.  However when I'm playing games it resets back to the desktop without a problem reported.  The only real problem I find is that the CPU runs at 100 degrees C.  I know this is supported but the CPU bottlenecks at this tempeture and slows down.  Because of this I wanted to undervolt the CPU with the aim to get the CPU below 100.  Long story short I reduced the voltage to 1.250v from 1.4 and the multiplier from 57x to 38x and was still getting temps of 100c.  Only 2 cores were overheating, 5 and 7.  So a manually changed the muliplier for each core.  Set 57x multiplier for the good cores and 38x for cores 5 and 7.  This made no difference to the temps.  5 and 7 still hit 100c whereas the other 6 performance cores maxed at 97c.  

I would like to replace the CPU as I think its faulty.  Would others agree?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello Bomber,

Thank you for posting in Intel community Forum.

We have a troubleshooting guide that you can follow so please check the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005791/processors/intel-core-processors.html

And also, let me gather additional details about your system for us to analyze the issue?

1. Is it working fine before? Can you also tell us the date of purchase?
  2. What is the temperature readings of you are running on default settings?
  3. Can you also provide the brand and model of your cooling solution?
  4. Have you also tried to install your processor on a different system to isolate the issue?

If you have questions, please let us know. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Scavenger55
Beginner

This cpu runs hot! What kind of cooling you running? Thermal paste?

0 Kudos
Bomber
Beginner

The system I am running is brand new so I'm testing and tuning the system.  The idle temperature is around 31c and the system works fine just doing standard tasks i.e. browsing the internet. 

The cooling solution is an Arctic Freezer Liquid II 240 and I checked the seating of the cooler which was fine.  The thermal paste is Arctic MX-4 that came with the cooler.

I haven't got the means to try the processor in a different system but since I underclocked cores 5 and 7 the system has been stable.

Like I said the system resets to the desktop and 3dmark would not complete. 

At first I thought it was the graphics so I adjusted the fan curve and made sure I was using the latest drivers for the card and the chipset.  However problems persisted.  So I made sure of the bios and updated it to the lastest version.  Then I tried various benchmarks to check the system.  Heaven ran fine and I left it looping for an hour or so.  Cinebench ran fine too but I noticed that temps where hitting 100c at default settings.  So I decided to undervolt and get the temps below 100c.  Like I said I undervolted and underclocked the CPU but I could not get the temps on cores 5 and 7 below 100c.  I am currently running the system with 6 cores at default 57 multiplier and 5 and 7 at 46 multiplier and the system is running fine.  Games are stable and 3dmark will complete but I am not getting my moneys worth.

I am returning the CPU as I'm pretty sure its faulty and I get the new CPU today so I will update the post later.

0 Kudos
Bomber
Beginner

Not sure what to say - I couldn't tame the temps as they were still hitting 100c even with an undervolt.  So I set everything back to default and tried my games and 3dmark.  All the games and 3dmark are fine now with all the cores running 57x and the voltage to default which around 1.459v when running cinebench.  So even though the temps are still hitting 100c my system is more stable now so I guess there was a problem with the  CPU.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Bomber,

Thank you for update.

During a stress test, it is normal to get high temperature readings.

However, if you are getting normal temperature reading normal workloads, that means your system is fine.

Kindly check the link below for more detailed explanation.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000090029/processors.html

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Bomber,

I hope this message finds you well.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Bomber
Beginner

Hi Micheal,

The system is running fine.  I'm a little worried about the CPU hitting 100c when I'm playing games but it runs at around 80 to 85c with the occasional spike in temps but like I say the system is running fine.  As these temps are within spec for this CPU I'm not too concerned but I do worry that it is running a little to hot and because of this the lifetime of the CPU willl be reduced.

Should I be concerned or is this normal or should I think about another AIO unit?

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Bomber,

Thank you for the reply.

Actually your system is fine and it is normal for the temperature to go up in the processor has load.

As long as you are not experiencing thermal throttling and you are not going over 100 degrees, your system is fine because the processor is designed to run below 100 degrees.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Bomber,

I hope this message finds you well.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Bomber,

I hope you are having a good day.

I am sending another follow up on the information that I requested. 

Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos