Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14754 Discussions

6600K fails stress tests at stock settings

BPeng6
Novice

Tried Prime95 and worker 2 stops immediately. Intel Burn Test fails after 24 seconds (says system unstable). Temperatures never passes 35C during tests. No overclocking. All stock settings in BIOS. Is my CPU bad?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BPeng6
Novice

More information:

System Specs:

Asrock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac

BIOS 1.80

All settings stock.

Intel Skylake i5 6600k

2x Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 2133 CL14 288

EVGA Nvidia GTX-980

Sandisk Ultra II SSD 960GB

Issues:

Ran Prime95 to observe temperatures. Worker # 2 fails immediately with all tests.

Ran Intel Burn Test with standard settings. Fails after 24 seconds.

Temperature never exceed 35C.

Ran mdsched.exe. Says no error in memory.

After running mdsched.exe:

1. Only the USB 3.1 slot works

2. Computer remains on after shutdown command. Windows seems to shutdown fine, but power to system remains on. Must hold power button to power down.

3. Reset switch doesn't work at all anymore.

System seemed to be running fine prior to testing, but all tests were run under all stock settings (no overclock at all).

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Intel has identified an issue that potentially affects the 6th Gen Intel® Core™ family of products. This issue only occurs under certain complex workload conditions, like those that may be encountered when running applications like Prime95. In those cases, the processor may hang or cause unpredictable system behavior. Intel has identified and released a fix and is working with external business partners to get the fix deployed through BIOS.

Please refer at

Allan.

0 Kudos
BPeng6
Novice

Hi Allan,

My system did not freeze during Prime95, only one worker stops during testing (immediately, regardless of which test selected). I read through your link, and I'm not sure how applicable it is to resolve the symptoms I described in my previous post.

The malfunctions I listed towards the end still exist, regardless of what is running, which makes me suspect that some actual damage might have occurred, or an underlying issue might have surfaced during testing.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Please contact Intel customer support to issue an RMA for your processor if you think this is defective: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html Contact Support

Allan.

0 Kudos
RTian
Beginner

Hi,this performance is not good, My problem is high CPU usage when I startup computer and sometime frozen and need to restart.

0 Kudos