Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14586 Discussions

6700k i7 badly underperforming.

idata
Employee

Good evening,

First of all, i should apologize for my bad english. With that being said, i will introduce my problem:

I have and endgame computer(at least it was 1 year and a half ago, when i bought it), wich was doing really great until the last month. The first 15 days, it was being unstable, sometimes it was working fine (especially if it was rebooted), sometimes it was doing horrible. In the last 15 days it just performs like a 15 years ago processor. When i say that, i mean that it barely can be used for websurfing if any other process is in the background.

I had tried many solutions to it, reinstaled almost everything...and in the end, i did a sistem restore(the one that does not remove photos and such things). Nothing worked.

After the restore, it was working as bad as before for 4 hours, then it went to life again. But it lasted just for 1 day.

So i have the newst bios drivers, the newest CPU drivers and the same with the GPU. I have checked all system temperatures and everything seems to be ok, also ran the intel cpu diagnosis and says that all its ok. But its fun, since i cant even open google chrome when the cpu stress test is running.

I have to add that i did some online benchmarks, that i could show here(i know you dont support that, but it adds usefull info i think) and it says that my cpu cant be used even for web surfing(17/100 rating). In the 24 hours that it worked fine, i ran that bench too, and it said that my cpu demolishes all work and can hadle all games with a 82/100 rating. (even more, it said that it was overperforming vs the same CPUs checked there)

Sorry about this wall of text, but all information should be good.

My system specs:

Processor Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz

Processor Information: Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3

Number of Physical Cores: 4

Number of Logical Cores: 8

Installed System Memory: 16 GB

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bits

Graphics Information: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

System Product: Z170A GAMING M3 (MS-7978)

System BIOS: A.70

A intel CPU test results have been added as text file.

Thank you in advance and have a nice afternoon.

0 Kudos
32 Replies
idata
Employee

Juanhge, I just wanted to check if you were able to get in contact them in order to verify the status of the replacement?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi again,

im still waiting for an answer. They told me on Monday that they had shipped it, but they didn't told me if there is a new processor oN the mail, mine repaired or what. I asked them for it but they didnt answered me yet.

im upset with this, probably it would be faster if I shipped it to USA.

I will let you know, probably on Monday or Thursday.

Regards.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, Juanhge, Thank you for providing those details. Sure, no problem, they should be able to let you know that information though. Once you get the chance please let us know the results.

Regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Juanhge, I just wanted to check if you already received the replacement processor and if the issue persists or if it was resolved?

Regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, i didn't received it yet.

But while I was writing this, they have just answered me, they have sent me a new one. They said that it was having errors of prime95 or something like that. Finally I get some info!

i will give you some info when I get it on my computer!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, Juanhge, Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that you received updates on the replacement and they will send you a new processor. Once you get the chance please let us know the results of testing the new processor.

Regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Juanhge, I just wanted to check if you received the new processor and if the problem persists or if it got resolved?

Regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

i would like to answer you, but I'm still waiting...

It should arrive tomorrow, but I lost all hope on my computer provider, so lets see. I can't understand how the biggest Spanish online components shop (pccomponentes) can be this inoperativE. May I ask you if there is any way to fill a complaint about them in Intel? Their Intel postsale service is behind horrible.

Regards!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Juanhge, Thank you very much for letting us know that information, we are sorry to hear that the replacement process is taking that long.

In regard to your question, yes, you can always get in contact with Intel support for Spain:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support/emea-contact.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support/emea-contact.html

Regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi there!

Finally i got the replacement today. (it was actually yesterday, but i wasnt on the shipping adress)

As we tought, the problem was the cpu, or at least its what i can tell for now. It has been about 1 hour of benchmarks and soft usage, and its working as expected. But since the problem was really random, lets see how it works!

In advance, thank you for the support during the process.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi again,

2 hours after i wrote the previous post, the problem came back... I was shocked...

But at least, knowing the processor was not the problem, i tought that it might be the motherboard. So i went BIOS and started to investigate, i tried voltages, multipliers and all type of things that didnt worked (it was working at 0,7V so it dinged the alarms)

Finally after some web surfing, i found the problem. For some reason, with the processor at 30-40ºC (and the liquid refrigeration running at 800 rpm) the thermal protection was turning on and then getting stucked for some random time(even with boots). So for this reason my cpu was working at 20% of its power...Until the thermal protection randomly decided to deactivate for some time. I cant understand why none of the tools i ran could detect that cpu was working at 0,8 ghz, im really surprised.

Finally, the solution was going to BIOS, OC setup, expert oc on. And then, on cpu features, deactivate INtel Adaptative Thermal Monitor, also i deactivated the EIST feature. I post this in case someone gets this anytime, maybe it could help, since its a more or less common error. (i need to clarify that it was at factory settings, and i never changed anything on the OC setup, so that might be the factory setup).

I dont know if the motherboard is broken, the IATM its not working as intended or there is some type of conflicts. BUt for now, it seems that its solved.

SO this time, aditionally to the thanks i gave you in other posts, i have to add an apologize for all the time this got, for finally being a MB problem...

Best regards.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, Juanhge, No problem at all, we do our best in trying to fix the problem your system might have regardless of the time it takes to do it.

Thank you very much for letting us know that information, it is great to hear that finally you received the processor and we were able to confirm that the problem was related to a different component and that it got fixed now.

Thank you very much as well for sharing those details about the thermal protection on the board, I am sure that information will be very useful for all the peers viewing this thread.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto

0 Kudos