Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14534 Discussions

CPU Speed stuck.

idata
Employee

I'm using Dell Inspiron 15R N5110, which has Intel Core I7 2630QM. I recently installed Windows 7 SP1, uninstalling Windows 10. I ran Windows Experience Index and CPU-Z,

and my CPU rating is decreased to 4.5 (previously 7 or above). I checked CPU-Z showing the CPU running at a low speed.At task manager resource monitor in windows 8.1 it show CPU speed always at 0.76 GHz and remains same even if I load CPU heavily up to 100% .

But I also checked in Safe Mode it Worked fine there and CPU speed stuck at 2.0 GHz . How to figure out what's going on. I also diagnosed CPU by Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and it passed everything. How can this be fixed.???

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Please test the speed of the processor after running the processor identification utility. This will give us Reported and Expected results.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/7838/Intel-Processor-Identification-Utility-Windows-Version https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/7838/Intel-Processor-Identification-Utility-Windows-Version

Bear in mind the processor features Enhanced Intel® SpeedStep® Technology (EIST). It will lower processor speed to save power. Try disable this feature through BIOS configuration and run the utility.

Let me know your findings.

Allan.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Were you able to run the processor diagnostic tool?

Allan.
0 Kudos
ymori8
Beginner

I had the same problem with Dell latitude E6420 and CPU was stuck at 800mHz. I tried changing Bios, updating all chipset drivers and graphic drivers but could not solve the problem. It turns out a simple issue: the power adapter. I plugged in a different adapter other than the original one. I got a warning message when booting up the computer about "unknown power adapter", but decided to ignore it. The CPU stuck at 0.8GHz. The speed became much faster when I disconnect the adapter and run on battery.

You may check if the speed goes up when you run the computer on battery without adapter.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Good information from Yves32, thank you.

Allan.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks everyone the problem is solved. Actually My laptop fan had problem. One of his wire was unplugged probably which controls the CPU fan and power cable was fine and that's why CPU usage was always reduced to 39% and maximum speed was 0.78 GHz and now CPU works fine goes to full speed as well as above full speed trough Turbo. And CPU rating in windows experience improved as well to 7.4.. And performance has increased, So Thanks again :).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Glad to hear your computer is working.

Thank you for letting us know.

Allan.
0 Kudos