Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14552 Discussions

CPU Upgrade Pentium 6100 to i3 in Toshiba L630

VTayl
Beginner

I am currently upgrading an old Toshiba L630 PSK 60A-00E003 laptop. It is a Socket G1 for the Pentium 6100 and my research shows I could go in the dual core processors to an I3-390M. Will any of the I5 such as the 460M or 480M work in this old machine? as I notice they have the turbo frequency available. Also, in my research I noticed that I should update the BIOS "Before" I install a new processor. The Toshiba update site doesn't have an option for Win 10 so that doesn't help?. This is my first real upgrade project so go easy on me. Regards Squizzy.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You need to contact Toshiba and ask them which processors are supported by THEIR BIOS. Then, you can select from those processors.

And, that is only possible if the existing processor is not soldered to the motherboard.

An upgrade processor must be socket, BIOS, and chipset compatible.

Also, in my opinion, it provides little value and improvement to make this type of upgrade. Especially, if you plan on going to Windows 10.

Doc

0 Kudos
VTayl
Beginner

Hi Doc, Its a socket G1 so no problem there.

The Core i3-390M is a compatible upgrade just don't know whether the i5 will actually do anything better than the i3. I can buy an i3 for like $22 so no big deal.

I am well aware this machine is probably for the scrap heap but its a project/hobby for me... keeps me off the streets.

The CPU fan died which lead to the problem. I am not looking to upgrade so much is just restore to a good solid machine.

Even with a bad fan the machine was running Win10 Ok with only 4Gb of RAM..before I pulled it into pieces to replace a USB port..

Regards

Squizzy

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Squizzy,

Based on your chipset model, these are the compatible processors; http://ark.intel.com/products/43183/Mobile-Intel-HM55-Express-Chipset# @compatibility Mobile Intel® HM55 Express Chipset Specifications. However, as mentioned before the best advice in regard to compatibility should be provided by Toshiba.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
VTayl
Beginner

Thank you Amy. Much appreciated.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sure, you're welcome.

If you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos