Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14674 Discussions

CPU cores

kyoung21
Beginner

Recently I purchased the i7 12700k 12 core CPU for my new build. I went to unlock all my cores with msconfig and it only allowed me to select up to 4. Does anyone have a fix for this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @kyoung21  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I am sorry to hear what is happening with your processor, I will do my best to assist you here. 

I will do some research on this. As soon as I have updates, I will post them here 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @kyoung21  

Thank you for your time. 

Enabling all CPU cores shouldn't harm or damage the processor, however, we as a support group do not encourage you to follow this procedure, By default all cores on processors are active and they are utilized by OS automatically when needed, it is best to let Windows manage the processor. 

This process can be also triggered by OS, however, some security features can restrict this by default depending on OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer), especially on laptops. Update BIOS to the latest version and or check if BIOS is not restricting the usage of cores.  

I have also seen a display bug from Task Manager. Simply restart the PC and check again. Check this article for some steps you can follow about this: 

Why Does my System Have Fewer or Missing Cores? 

If the issue persists, contact Microsoft support for further assistance regarding this issue. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @kyoung21   

We have not heard back from you, so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional assistance, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos