Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14642 Discussions

Can't update BIOS on DQ77MK (freeze/black screen)

jmapplegren
Beginner

Trying to get an old PC running for my sister. It's an  Intel chipset mobo, model dq77mk. I tried to flash the bios with the newest one, computer froze. Tried flashing with the next update from the beginning, and go gradually up, but while that didnt freeze, at the end it says "flash update failed". Apparently my mobo is so old that it has a "legacy bios" on it. The newest bios is I think 0074, Im way back on 0051. Cant upgrade to the very next version (appears to try and flash, but error message at the end), or the very newest one (instant freeze/lockup when I press 'Y' to confirm). Am I just SOL?

I've checked the 'discontinued support' section already and found nothing applicable to my issue.
Thank you for any help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User
The most common cause is a failure to initialize memory. In the case of BIOS Recovery, a conservative configuration is used; no settings from the standard BIOS configuration is used.
Now, being unable to initialize memory can have a lot of possible causes. It is usually bad or incompatible memory, but the failure could also be in the processor's memory controllers or in the memory bus(s) implemented on the motherboard (electrical noise is the common issue).
You have a very old motherboard. Every component present - including even the solder used - is well beyond its MTBF date. There are many components that, should they fail, could render the entire system inoperable.
...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You need to install the latest BIOS package (which I have attached) using the BIOS Recovery process. Here is my process for doing so:

1. NOTE: Read these instructions completely before starting. Follow all instructions EXACTLY.
  2. On some other Windows-based PC, download the .BIO file for the BIOS release you wish to install.
  3. Insert a 32GB or smaller (the smaller the better) USB 2.0 flash drive into the PC. Do not use USB 3.0 flash drives (most are not compatible). It is also better (though not required) to use a flash drive that has an access LED that you can watch.
  4. Format this USB flash drive using the Windows Format applet. Specify to install the FAT32 file system (Important: NOT vFAT, NOT exFAT; FAT32 only). You must also specify that the Quick Format option be Disabled (unchecked).
  5. NOTE: If FAT32 is not offered as a choice by the Format applet, your flash drive is too big; use another.
  6. Copy the .BIO file into the root folder of this USB flash drive. This should be the only .BIO file in the root folder of this USB flash drive.
  7. Properly eject the USB flash drive. Do not just yank it out. Do this from File Explorer or using the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media System Tray applet.
  8. Power off the Desktop Board system.
  9. Remove the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper from the board. It will be the only yellow jumper; the rest will be black.
  10. Plug the USB flash drive into one of the black USB 2.0 ports on the back panel of the board. Avoid using blue USB 3.0 or Yellow USB 2.0/3.0 charging ports. Also, avoid using front panel USB ports.
  11. Power on the system.
  12. The BIOS Recovery process should start automatically. You should see a progress report on your main monitor.
  13. NOTE: If you do not see a progress report displayed on a monitor, do not power off the system for at least 15 minutes. While it is rare, it is possible for the process to proceed without an onscreen display; you must give it ample time to complete, just in case.
  14. When the BIOS Recovery process is complete, you will be asked to power off the system. Do so then.
  15. Restore the yellow BIOS Configuration jumper to the pins it was on previously. This should be across pins 1 and 2 of this (three pin) header.
  16. Remove the USB flash drive from the back panel of the board.
  17. Power on the board.
  18. Immediately begin pressing the F2 key, over and over (approx. once per second) until you see a BIOS Setup (or Visual BIOS) screen displayed.
  19. Verify, using the BIOS version string, that the BIOS installed properly. Stop if it isn't.
  20. Press the F9 key (followed by the Y key) to reset of the BIOS configuration.
  21. Press the F10 key (followed by the Y key) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  22. Once screen is cleared (goes black), begin pressing the F2 key, over and over, until you see the BIOS Setup screen displayed.
  23. Make any changes to the BIOS configuration that you desire (for example, disabling NUMLOCK) or that you require (for example, setting Boot Order, enabling UEFI, etc.).
  24. Press the F10 key (followed by the Y key) to save the BIOS Configuration and exit BIOS Setup.
  25. Test.

Here are some additional thoughts:

• If BIOS Recovery will not start, try using a different USB port. You can try using the blue USB 3.0 or yellow USB 2.0/3.0 ports as well if no other choices. You can also try using front panel USB ports.
  • If switching USB ports didn't work, try using a different USB flash drive. Remember that all USB flash drives must be reformatted at least once using the process described in Step 4 above.
  • As always, it is helpful to use a USB flash drive that has an access LED so that you can visually see if it is being accessed.
  • If you are seeing USB flash drive being accessed but BIOS Recovery does not start, a common cause is compatibility with the memory present. The BIOS Recovery engine, as it is with USB 3.0 flash drives, can be very picky with regards to memory compatibility. Try removing all but one DIMM/SODIMM.
  • For more information on the BIOS Recovery process, consult Intel Desktop Boards Recovery BIOS Update Instructions.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
jmapplegren
Beginner

Thank you very much. There's a few steps in here I did not take. I'll try again and report back.

Jordan

0 Kudos
jmapplegren
Beginner

Hi there, just reporting back. No luck. Froze in the exact same spot. I followed you instructions exactly. Couple questions tho. When I am supposed to actually push the update? Once Ive taken off the jumper and booted into the bios repair/restore? Or do I do all that, repair it, put jumper back in, and then push the update. Every step was easily understandable and was going well...right up until that exact moment. This is when my screen freezes.

Thanks, Jordan

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Not sure what you mean by 'push the update' or 'repair'. When you power on with the jumper removed (the yellow one), the BIOS will automatically start the recovery process using the single .BIO file that is in the root folder of the flash disk. You do nothing (no F7 at any point!) until it tells you to power back off.

...S

0 Kudos
jmapplegren
Beginner

When I power on with the jumper removed I dont get a display. I waited 15 minutes like suggested and restarted it. It still was at BIOS version 54.

0 Kudos
jmapplegren
Beginner

I just noticed it DID move from 51 to 54. Is BIOS version 54 possibly the latest it can handle? A 0074 bio was in the root directory of the flash drive.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Hhmmm, ... Did you, by any chance, use a 2nd gen processor in this board? This could prevent upgrade- and use of 3rd gen processors (I'm talking about the AMT-enabled case)
...S
0 Kudos
jmapplegren
Beginner

Hmm. Maybe thats it. I recently stuck an i7-3770 in there to replace a i5-3450. Could that affect bios updates?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
No, that's not enough of a difference to cause this. I was referring to a, for example, i7-2600.
Not sure what to think. Let me mull this over...
...S
0 Kudos
jmapplegren
Beginner

Im completely stumped as well. Mostly stumped on why I get no video when rebooting with the jumper totally removed. At least I got from 0051 to 0054

I appreciate your help so much, and I'll respond back if I figure anything out either. Just for nerd stats, Im using a Sandisk Cruzer 4MB, older USB drive I have. Plugging into the back of the PC, in a black colored plug. Unplugged xbox controller, mouse, and ethernet. Only thing plugged in was keyboard and hdmi monitor.

Thanks again for all the help, I'll keep at it.

Jordan

0 Kudos
jmapplegren
Beginner

Couldnt have anything to do with the coin cell batter dying, could it? It's about 13 years old at this point and I did notice the time on my pc randomly change twice over the last month or so.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Yes, this could be a part of the problem. Replace the battery every 3-4 years.
...S
0 Kudos
jmapplegren
Beginner

Ordered some new coin cells the other day thinking it'd be a good idea anyway. Its been maybe 7 years, this computer was partly in storage. Thanks again for all the help and time you've spent, I really appreciate it. I'll let you know if a new battery changes anything.

Any clue, however, why I get no display with the jumper removed completely?

Jordan

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
The most common cause is a failure to initialize memory. In the case of BIOS Recovery, a conservative configuration is used; no settings from the standard BIOS configuration is used.
Now, being unable to initialize memory can have a lot of possible causes. It is usually bad or incompatible memory, but the failure could also be in the processor's memory controllers or in the memory bus(s) implemented on the motherboard (electrical noise is the common issue).
You have a very old motherboard. Every component present - including even the solder used - is well beyond its MTBF date. There are many components that, should they fail, could render the entire system inoperable.
...S
0 Kudos
jmapplegren
Beginner
Yea I'm aware it's very old. Stuck a 1080Ti in it for my little sister to play Minecraft with. But as an adult, I got focused on this bios problem. I hate leaving things unfinished. All I can think of is to remove ram down to one stick (currently at 4x8gb). What I really can't figure out tho, is how it updated from 0051 to 0054 somehow. I'll try removing memory but after that I gotta throw in the towel I think. Spent too much time on this already.
0 Kudos