Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14677 Discussions

Can't upgrade to latest XTU (6.4.1.25) on Windows 7

Wimpers
Beginner

I've been using XTU for quite a while and now every time I try to upgrade from 6.4.1.19 to the latest version I get a hard lockup just after telling the wizard I do trust the unsigned drivers. I've tried this a few times and this happens every time!

After the crash I can reinstall/repair the version I'm running now without a problem so I'm not doing anything wrong...

All other software is up to date as well on my Core i5 4690K @ 4.7 GHz CPU on it's MSI Z87-G45 Gaming mainboard.

0 Kudos
27 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
Hello Wimpers, Thank you very much for letting us know those results. We will continue with our research on this subject, as soon as I get any details I will post them on this thread. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
Wimpers, I just received an update on this matter. We just wanted to let you know that have been able to test and validate Intel® XTU on Windows* 7. Please make sure of the following: 1. Intel® XTU requires .NET Framework 4.6.2 which is not included in the package, in order to download that version please go to Microsoft’s website to download and install it prior to installing Intel® XTU. Intel® XTU only has 64-bit version. 2. .NET Frame 4.6.2 requires Windows* 7/8.1 with Service Package 1, in this case, a Windows* update to SP1 will be needed to install it. 3. Additionally, the below Windows* patches are needed: a.KB2533623 b.KB2685811 c.KB2685813 d.KB958488 e.KB3033929 f.KB2534111 g.KB976902 We were also able to install and run Intel® Processor Diagnostics Tool Version: 4.1.1.33 If the issue persists after trying the steps above, then the next thing to do will be to consider a clean Windows* installation or to use a separate tool provided by the motherboard manufacturer: https://www.msi.com/support Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wimpers
Beginner

Alberto,

I have the 4.7.2 version of .NET installed so I cannot install a different minor version next to it. But it's backwards compatible.

SP1 and those mentioned updates are installed, at least the ones that can be installed. As I mentioned in one of my previous posts.

The processor diagnostic tool is also installed but it's still a no go.

If I have some time I'll attempt a clean install and post the results.

Regards,

Wim

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
Wimpers, Thank you very much for your response. In reference to the Intel® Processor Diagnostics Tool, if the unit passed the test that indicates that it is working fine and the problem is related to a different component or customization. As you mentioned, to try a clean installation of Windows* will be the next step to do, take your time and once you get the chance please let us know the results of doing that. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
Wimpers
Beginner

Dear Alberto,

Well I can't believe it but so far it works! ;-)

I installed Windows 7 x64 with Service pack 1 integrated in it, installed all necessary device drivers, .NET 4.7 framework and Internet explorer 11.

I actually installed the latest XTU before I checked if all updates were installed but I could not start it yet because it said not all necessary drivers were installed.

So then I downloaded the KB updates that I could but I only had to install 2 or 3, the rest was already installed...

And all the sudden it worked! The processor diagnostics also got installed and ran successfully.

Then I checked and all the mentioned KB's had been installed or were already a part of the OS, I can provide some screenshots if you like.

This is a bare install however, there were over 1500 MB of patches waiting but I ignored those because it might be a combination of those and XTU but they take quite some time to install so I'll do this another day and post my results.

Thanks for the help so far!

Regards,

Wim

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
Hello Wimpers, No problem, thank you very much for sharing those results. Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that you were able to properly install and run the Intel® XTU after doing the Windows* updates. If you like to share the pictures, they will be really helpful for all the peers viewing this thread. Any other inquiry, do not hesitate to contact us again. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wimpers
Beginner

Alberto,

These are the interesting details...

Regards,

Wim

0 Kudos