Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14499 Discussions

Differance between PGA988 and PPGA988 CPU socket?

idata
Employee

As I want to upgrade my Intel 950B with i5 2520M, 950B has PGA988 socket (current), i5 2520M has PPGA988 socket... What's the differance?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hi janyruc,

The 2 sockets are pin compatible; any of those processors will fit on your board.

However, putting a 2nd gen processor i5-2520M into a system extremely depends on the BIOS. At this point I strongly recommend contacting you motherboard manufacturer or access you motherboard manufacturer's website and check if the processor you want to install is supported by your motherboard bios.

If you have an Intel® motherboard, please provide me with the model number and I can tell you if the processor you want to install is compatible or not.

Best wishes,

Ivan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hi janyruc,

The 2 sockets are pin compatible; any of those processors will fit on your board.

However, putting a 2nd gen processor i5-2520M into a system extremely depends on the BIOS. At this point I strongly recommend contacting you motherboard manufacturer or access you motherboard manufacturer's website and check if the processor you want to install is supported by your motherboard bios.

If you have an Intel® motherboard, please provide me with the model number and I can tell you if the processor you want to install is compatible or not.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos