Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14534 Discussions

Engineering sample processor - should something be done?

HMark4
Beginner

Hello,

I bought a computer and got I9-9900T engineering sample processor in it.

Can I use this? Seller is chinese and I really do not expect any help from there.

This processor seems to function good enough and I can live with it, but am I allowed to use it? Or should I contact Intel to have some kind of swap to replece it?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

One thread only. Stay with your other post.

Doc

0 Kudos
HMark4
Beginner

Sorry, I just noticed too late the other thread was already closed.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I am not seeing the other thread, so will answer here...

I recommend that your return this system. It is technically illegal to sell Engineering Sample (ES) processors and this person is trying to profit off Intel's generosity in providing samples to industry. While it is not an issue for you to have an ES processor, you need to understand that ES processors are early versions of the processor and likely have hardware-level errata that may not be repairable via microcode. Further, most production BIOS (and O/S) do not recognize ES processors and thus do not update the microcode, exposing you to many microcode-level errata as well. You simply do not want to be using an ES processor. Return the system and get your money back.

As for reporting this to intel, I recommend that you do so. As I said, this is technically illegal; this person is selling Intel properly and thus attempting to profit off Intel's generosity. If you have information about this user, report it to Intel by contacting Intel Customer Support directly. Here are pages where you can lookup contact information, including local phone numbers, by geography:

You can use the online forms service or email, but I actually recommend calling them directly. The above links provide local or toll-free numbers in most countries and support most local languages. You could also use the chat service (start here: Intel Customer Support Chat), but understand that this service is offered in English only and is subject to the normal (9:00-5:00 M-F) office hours in the Pacific (UTC-8) time zone.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos