Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14590 Discussions

GHz getting reported wrong

travis1337
Beginner

So we have two CPU and the base speed is getting reported at different speeds. 

The two processors are:

i5-1245U

i5-1345U

Mostly the base speed of those processors are 1.6Ghz. 

The issue is in windows in the task manger they are also getting reported as 1.6Ghz base speed, However in the registry its reporting the base speed as 2496MHz or 2.5Ghz. The registry key im looking at is here, 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\0\~MHz

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/cimwin32prov/win32-processor

travis1337_0-1691700868123.png

so i guess the question is, does anymore know how this value is getting made, ~MHz, as this value does not match any of the other speeds for this processor. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @travis1337  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

Please be aware that the processor you mention are different models and they are integrated into Laptops, they have different components and customizations made by the System Manufacturer, so the clock speeds will not be exact and it is an expected behavior that their clock speeds have variations. You can see more information about how the Clock speed works: 

What Is Clock Speed? 

If you have BSODs, crashes, freezes, or related issues, please let us know. Otherwise, there is no reason to be concerned about it. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @travis1337   

I hope you are great.

We would like to know if you were able to review our previous post and check the information mentioned above. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us back. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @travis1337   

As we have not heard back from you, we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional assistance, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos