Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14590 Discussions

Has anyone encountered a cpu dying this way ..?

Duxy
Novice

The subject is a i7-11700K, the product has worked for just short of 8 months,

It had ran at stock Intel recommended settings since the start.

Then suddenly one day after having the pc running for about an hour while i was reading up on the daily news sites the pc dropped dead, the power just shut of and the pc started going into a boot loop.

Every time it came to the point it had to start an OS the power switched off and boot loop began.

Whea exception errors and machine check exceptions were showing with bleu screens every time a windows OS tried to start.

With linux you could just see the first line for cpu init apear and the same shutdown with boot loop began.

I could still do a memtest 86 from a bootstick however and a full test came back flawless.

After much debugging it appeared the cpu had somehow died and was replaced with a working one.

What i am left wondering is what the frikkin heck happened with this cpu and why the heck did it die so fast?

And has anyone else ever encountered such a thing without having abused the cpu of course?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Duxy,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel® Core™ i7-11700K Processor.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Just to confirm, have you already replaced the defective CPU? If so, what is the model of the new CPU?

2. Do you keep the defective processor?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Duxy
Novice

Hello Deivid,

Since the CPU was only 8 months old i took it back to the store i bought it from, they diagnosed it as being faulty and have replaced it with a similar i7-11700K. I still have the box from the original CPU that has died (made in China) but no box from the replacement.

I sincerely hope this replacement isn't going to die in another 8 months or even worse just outside of warranty period. This has dented my trust in Intel severely.

The PC is working again.  I am left with many questions as to how this is possible, first Intel CPU that died on me in over 30 years and it wasn't even abused or anything, just running the Intel recommended stock settings.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@Duxy   You say "first Intel CPU that died on me in over 30 years" and this has dented your trust in Intel?

You know, things break/fail.  Sometimes in a week, sometimes in decades.   Component failure is a fact of life.  If this has dented your trust, I'd say your trust is pretty fragile and unrealistic, and you need to deal with the reality of the situation - things break.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
Duxy
Novice

Dear AlHill,

How much worse ALL products have become/are becoming through the years?

If Intel products never have died before but now they start dying without any good reason and you think that is normal you might have a trust issue yourself being so forgiving. I know very well these things break but mostly it's even faster like days or weeks, 8 months makes it real fishy, how did it "degrade" so fast to the point it could no longer boot/run an OS when at stock specs?

Takes a long time to build trust, but it is lost really quick this way.

And why did it happen only days after an Intel igpu driver update that also made the igpu clock stuck at 1300MHz?

This could be coincidence but only a dissection of the dead CPU could reveal anything useful.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Duxy, 

I am glad to know that the new processor is working properly and I am sorry for the bad experience with the old one. In this case, as mentioned by AlHill, there is a possibility that you had a defective/faulty unit.

On the other hand, there is a chance that the motherboard was running some settings that were stressing the CPU every day until it failed. Some motherboard runs the processor above the specification using the default settings.

I just recommend you to check that the processor frequency is running at 3.60 GHz or 5.00 GHz if the "Intel® Turbo Boost Max" is enabled and that the RAM is running at 3200MHz.

Since the processor was replaced I will not be able to investigate further on this. Consider the previous recommendation and get in contact with the place of purchase if a replacement is needed.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos