Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

How to identify p-core and e-core in Microsoft Windows task manager?

1nteldevteam
Beginner

Hi,

I have two problems:

1. someone has 12 logic processors in Microsoft Windows task manager but someone has 20 logic processors for same i7-12700K? What is the reason of difference?Strip 1.png
  2. How to identify p-core and e-core in Microsoft Windows task manager? I want to test the performance but I can't identify p-core and e-core, is there a tool I can use?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I can answer the first question. The Core i7-12700K processor has 8 pCores and 4 eCores. When Hyperthreading is enabled, you will have 16 threads from the pCores plus the 4 threads from the eCores for a total of 20 threads. When Hyperthreading is disabled, however, you will only have 8 threads from the pCores and thus a total of 12 threads.

As for the second question, since I don't have a 12th gen processor, I am not sure of the answer. Have you tried running AIDA64? If anyone has support for this, I believe it will be them.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
1nteldevteam
Beginner

Hi,

I really appreciate your kindly and professional help. I use all 20 logic processors in scientific computing software, there are only 8 threads have high work load, theother 8 threads of pCore only have low work load in 600 seconds computer time.

Task managerTask manager

In AIDA64, I find the eCore cpu utilization

06-05_13-21.png

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello 1nteldevteam, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel® Core™ i7-12700K Processor.

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

2. Do you still see the mismatching with the logic processors?

3. Have you experienced any performance issues with your processor

4. Are you using a laptop or desktop computer?

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
1nteldevteam
Beginner

Hi Deivid,

1. I have run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) .
  2. I can still see the mismatching with the logic processors when I run computation intensive problems.
  3. Yes, I fell i7-12700k has big problem when run mismatching with the logic processors in windows 10 21H2 system because it's scheduling problem.
  4. desktop computer.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello 1nteldevteam, 

Thanks for the information provided. Seems that the report is not attached to your last post. In order to continue further, please provide the following:

1. Provide the report from the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU).

2. Can you provide examples of "computation-intensive problems"?

3. Do you have any performance issues with apps? Can you mention a list of these apps?  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello 1nteldevteam,  

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello 1nteldevteam,  

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos