Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14631 Discussions

How to make I7 7700 operate in high CPU usage ratio mode in scientific simulation

mikeclinton
Beginner

Hello. My desktop configuration is I7 7700 processors, Giga B250 motherboard, 4 pieces of same type kingston 2400MHz 8GB memory, Windows 10 20H2 OS, and Matlab 2020 and PSCAD 4.6.3 are installed in tigo 480GB ssd( both 64bit parallel computing software). By task manager, I see only one CPU when in PSCAD and 2~3 cpus in Matlab work on high load (about 90%), the other cpus basically on 20%~30% load. So, How to make I7 7700 operate in high CPU usage ratio mode in simulation. Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello mikeclinton, 

Thanks for the information provided, 

Based on the pictures and the fact that only one core is increasing, seems that you have enabled the "Turbo boost". This option dynamically increases the processor's frequency as needed by taking advantage of thermal and power headroom to give you a burst of speed when you need it.

This feature follows the following rules:

1. It can not be changed manually or choose which processors are going to be a boost.

2. It will enable and increase the cores needed depending on the task to perform.

3. It will increase the frequency to the amount that the operating system thinks is needed to perform a task.

4. As mentioned previously, the operating system will say when it needs a boost, which cores needs to be enabled, how much is the frequency going to increase, and how much is going to last.

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007359/processors/intel-core-processors.html

The feature that you are looking for is Overclocking, this feature allows you to manually change the frequency of the processor, however, this option may damage the processor and is only available for the "K" and "X" processors.

I recommend you to check with the motherboard manufacture for tools or options that can help you with your request.

Regards,    

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello mikeclinton,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

· Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/25293/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html?product=91600  

· Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

· To save your scan, click Next and click Save.  

2. By "see only one CPU" do you mean one processor o only one core at high usage?

3. Did you enable Turbo boost?

4. Are you trying to use all cores to the maximum usage or are you trying something else?

Regards,    

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
mikeclinton
Beginner

Hi, Deivid A., thank you very much. The cpu usage is about one processor, like the attached picture. And the operating frequency is 4.06GHz. Running works created by Matlab and PSCAD is very very time-consuming, so is there any software function to install to use most cpus in a high efficency( for example, almost all cpus in about 70% usage ratio) for my desktop, or this is already the maximum performance. Have a nice day.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello mikeclinton, 

Thanks for the information provided, 

Based on the pictures and the fact that only one core is increasing, seems that you have enabled the "Turbo boost". This option dynamically increases the processor's frequency as needed by taking advantage of thermal and power headroom to give you a burst of speed when you need it.

This feature follows the following rules:

1. It can not be changed manually or choose which processors are going to be a boost.

2. It will enable and increase the cores needed depending on the task to perform.

3. It will increase the frequency to the amount that the operating system thinks is needed to perform a task.

4. As mentioned previously, the operating system will say when it needs a boost, which cores needs to be enabled, how much is the frequency going to increase, and how much is going to last.

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007359/processors/intel-core-processors.html

The feature that you are looking for is Overclocking, this feature allows you to manually change the frequency of the processor, however, this option may damage the processor and is only available for the "K" and "X" processors.

I recommend you to check with the motherboard manufacture for tools or options that can help you with your request.

Regards,    

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos