Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14668 Discussions

I recently got an i5 6600K and the utilization is around 100% when playing some games.

idata
Employee

The temperature is never very high though, around 40c. This seems high since my old AMD 8350 never got that high. I thought intel was better at handling games then AMD. Idle usage is around 5%-10%. Graphics card is at 80% in graphic intensive games. Is this normal? How can I fix this?

0 Kudos
45 Replies
idata
Employee

My cpu is not always at 100%. When idle it seems normal. But it is at 100% almost every time I am playing a game whether it be new or very old. Maybe that's not even a problem

0 Kudos
ssote
New Contributor II

speecbeen wrote:

My cpu is not always at 100%. When idle it seems normal. But it is at 100% almost every time I am playing a game whether it be new or very old. Maybe that's not even a problem

The CPU With a game load runs 100% at full speed step all the time. Folks think when they see 100% utilization there is a problem however there is not.

A possessor is not like a car engine it just crunches numbers at the speed of the GHz. Think of it like a paper shredder, the shredder just runs when you put a small short strip of paper (data) so it uses 3% utilization, so when you put in a full sheet of paper (data) from a roll it is 100% utilization till the roll runs out.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Interesting. That makes sense to me.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Strange though... I ran F.E.A.R 2 a little bit ago and was only getting 50% cpu usage. About 250 fps.

0 Kudos
ssote
New Contributor II

speecbeen wrote:

Strange though... I ran F.E.A.R 2 a little bit ago and was only getting 50% cpu usage. About 250 fps.

Video card running max FPS on some games limits the game engine from utilizing all of the CPU. So if you had a video card that could do 500FPS in F.E.A.R 2 it would use 100% utilization of the CPU.

In games where the video card is holding the game engine back the data will not feed the CPU as fast as the processor speed. If the game is CPU dependent meaning the game is using 100% CPU utilization then the video card is not the bottleneck.

So if your game is not using 100% CPU utilization you could use a faster video card, or you have something running in the background using CPU Cycles while gaming. My rig at idle only uses 0-3% utilization.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I don't see how a 980ti would hold it back playing a game like fear 2. Especially when I'm getting such high fps.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

And the gpu utilization isnt even at 100%

0 Kudos
ssote
New Contributor II

speecbeen wrote:

I don't see how a 980ti would hold it back playing a game like fear 2. Especially when I'm getting such high fps.

If you think that is high FPS wait till they sell GTX 1180Ti. Like I said they don't make a video card that will run fear 2 at 500 FPS.

There are many factors for not having 99% GPU utilization apps, programs, malware, virus, running in the back ground that interfere however don't show more CPU utilization.

There is a test you can do to see your CPU utilization run up, run fear 2 at the lowest resolution in game, that will allow the CPU utilization to go up.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I came here looking for an answer and now have even more questions and possibly problems. Even though my computer seemed to be running better than any other computer I've had, regardless of cpu usage, people are telling me that whatever I have isn't working right and other things that I didn't even ask for. I've been given multiple different answers and told that my cpu is problematic in ways I didn't think were bad, and others saying it's no problem at all. Even Amy from Intel who was helping me just stopped. I guess I will not get an answer on whether or not something is wrong with my cpu and will have to live with the cpu I got even if it is faulty.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

speecbeen, I am still working on your case.

Some of the previous inputs applied to your case. When your processor reaches 100% of utilization; does is crash? Does it freeze? As mentioned before, 100% does not mean that your processor is faulty it just means that it's reaching full capacity. Your processor is reaching 100% because your game and your background processes require it.

I noticed that you mentioned that you have more questions now, I can help you answering the new inquiries that you might have, just let me know.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I appreciate you still trying to help. My only problem was I was worried that my processor was at 100% more often than it should be. Some games it is only around 60% though which one of the other commenters sounded like he thought that was a problem and it should always be at 100% when playing games. So my question is to you, Amy, not anyone else at the moment:

Will some games and applications bring my CPU utilization up to only 50% or maybe 40% or even 70%, because they are older and non CPU intensive applications which do not require all of my CPU's power? While some newer games and applications will use all 100% of my CPU because they are more powerful and more CPU intensive?

Or should all games and applications regardless of how old or CPU intensive they are bring my CPU utilization up to 100% when running?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sure, I am here to help.

"Will some games and applications bring my CPU utilization up to only 50% or maybe 40% or even 70%

Yes, this is correct.

, because they are older and non CPU intensive applications which do not require all of my CPU's power?

Yes, this is correct.

While some newer games and applications will use all 100% of my CPU because they are more powerful and more CPU intensive?

This is also correct.

Or should all games and applications regardless of how old or CPU intensive they are bring my CPU utilization up to 100% when running?"

This is related to the coding of the software or application. Each software/application is develop to manage and handle the resources available in the CPU, but this will depend on the algorithmic complexity and the programming language used, software/application might use all these resources in order to perform as expected. Getting 100% of CPU utilization on some software/applications does not mean that your processor is faulty, it just means that the software/applications is using all the resources available in the CPU. You have to consider that when running a game there are background processes that are also handled by the CPU, so utilization can be 70% game and 30% of background processes(this is just an example). One more thing that you have to consider is that your processor is meant to reach 0% to 100%, and as long as your system does not crash or freeze it should be fine.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you so much for clearing up all of my questions. From what you just said it sounds like my CPU is fine. Thank you for taking the time to help me.

0 Kudos
ssote
New Contributor II

You can control your CPU usage gaming depending on what video card you have or screen resolution, Nvidia calls it back pressure. If you want to see it for your self in fear 2 set the game resolution to the lowest and you will see the CPU utilization go up.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You're welcome, and if you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have another problem. can you help me?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sure, how can I help?

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

2 unrelated questions:

1. My PC recently blue screened twice (machine check exception), but only when playing a specific game (DOOM). However I did a repair installation of Windows 10 and it hasn't happened since then. It might be already fixed unless you have any ideas what might have caused it. I have ran a memory test that said there were no issues. Also my temperatures are normal. Low 50c under heavy load for CPU.

2. I am converting DVD home videos to put them on a SSD. When converting it puts my i5 6600k under very heavy load (100%). Is this normal for cpu's when converting mp4 files? Should I use the GPU acceleration option to lighten the load on my CPU?

Thank you very much for putting up with even more of my silly questions. You've been a great help.

0 Kudos
ssote
New Contributor II

speecbeen wrote:

2 unrelated questions:

1. My PC recently blue screened twice (machine check exception), but only when playing a specific game (DOOM). However I did a repair installation of Windows 10 and it hasn't happened since then. It might be already fixed unless you have any ideas what might have caused it. I have ran a memory test that said there were no issues. Also my temperatures are normal. Low 50c under heavy load for CPU.

2. I am converting DVD home videos to put them on a SSD. When converting it puts my i5 6600k under very heavy load (100%). Is this normal for cpu's when converting mp4 files? Should I use the GPU acceleration option to lighten the load on my CPU?

Thank you very much for putting up with even more of my silly questions. You've been a great help.

The Processor is engineered to run at full potential equaling 100%. When Transcoding or Encoding the CPU will run at 100% eve with the GPU involved, it just finishes the work faster. The PC is all about getting things done faster.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

No the CPU does not run at 100% when the GPU acceleration is turned on.

0 Kudos
ssote
New Contributor II

If you had a Faster GPU like Titan X pascal it would not hold the data back from the CPU as much.

0 Kudos