Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14659 Discussions

I5 14600KF throttling AIO 360

Xion
Beginner

Since assembling this kit, I have had problems with cooling the processor. The processor ALWAYS has thermal throttling under load.

During normal operation (e.g. browsing the Internet), temperatures are around 30-40 degrees Celsius. When running any benchmark, as soon as you click "start", the temperature of core 2,3,4 reaches 100 degrees Celsius in a fraction of a second and thermal throttling occurs. The remaining cores reach approximately 96 - 97 degrees after a short time.

The processor with default BIOS settings reaches 220W-230W under full load. After unlocking the undervolting option in the "Intel extreme tuning utility" application, I lower the voltage by up to -0.2V, then under stress it is about 167W. The cores reach the 100 degree mark without any difference in a fraction of a second.
Throttling occurs regardless of the cooling used or voltage reduction (UV) and, strangely enough, it always occurs immediately on these three or four cores.

The difference in temperatures between individual cores is not large, about 0-5 degrees at rest and even about 14 degrees at full load.

Initially, a large "Fortis 5 Dual Fan" TDP 220W cooler. Then the water "Endorfy Navis F240 ARGB" - here it was even worse. Currently, Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 - a cooler that will not cool even the i9.

The processor will not pass any test without Throttling, even the short one in the "Intel extreme tuning utility" application.

Tested on SPC 750W and Aorus 850W power supplies - no difference.
Asrock Z790 Riptide Wifi motherboard
Temperature readings come from HWiNFO64 v7.0.
I've already installed the third cooler within a month and still no difference.

Is this normal behavior for this set?
I haven't seen anything like it personally. What surprises me most is this immediate increase to 100 degrees in a fraction of a second. Even the fans won't have time to speed up, and even if they are spinning at 100%, it doesn't change anything.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

These problems are almost always because of the cooler installation or quality. 

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
Xion
Beginner

In my life I have worn more coolers than the average person has hairs on their head.
Low idle temperatures confirm this. Temperature increase to the limit in half a second always on the same cores?
Processor tested on different platforms, different power supplies, different coolers (tower 2 fans, AIO 280, AIO360) and there was no difference. Still a limit.
They haven't produced a cooler that would cool down just any i5 14600 yet?

0 Kudos
VonM_Intel

Hi, Xion.

Thank you for posting in our Community. Throttling is a mechanism in Intel® Processors to reduce the clock speed when the temperature in the system reaches above TJ Max (or Tcase). This is to protect the processor and to indicate to the user that there is an overheating issue in their system that they need to monitor.

I would like to share you with these troubleshooting steps that might help fix the issue:

• For self-built PC with Intel® Boxed Processors, ensure the following:
  1. Make sure that the thermal solution being used is compatible and correct for the specific CPU.
    1. Refer to: (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000038285/processors/intel-core-processors.html)
      1. Verify proper installation of the processor thermal solution. Refer to the Cooler Installation section here: (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000094030/processors.html)
      2. Make sure to apply the right amount of thermal interface material (TIM).  
      3. Check system fan operation.
      4. Check air ventilation.
    2. Refer to: (https://compatibleproducts.intel.com/FeaturedLinks/Thermal.html)

For laptops, refer to OEM since the OEMs decide the power/current limits. Any throttling happening there would be completely based on how the OEM designs the laptop.

For overclocking: Note that the motherboard does have an impact on the ability to overclock. Some are better quality and more capable than others. Furthermore, the way the motherboard is set up also impacts the overclocking ability of a particular system (such as liquid cooler vs fan).

Best regards,

Von M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Xion
Beginner

The set is not operating normally.
It is physically impossible for some cores (still the same here) to reach TJ immediately after clicking and the remaining ones to heat up after a while to much lower temperatures.
The processor, even with a limit of 180W, reaches TJ immediately after clicking "start", always on the same cores. When playing AAA titles, it maintains an average of around 64 degrees. So I don't think it's possible to install AIO, because that's nonsense. Read above, is it the same on three different coolers?
I think the problem may be the motherboard that does not read these parameters correctly.
It happened once that none of the computer's fans started. It turns out that the board showed a constant 11 degrees from all sensors except VGA and the disk. Only restarting the computer made the sensors return to normal.
Or a processor that has some inherent defect.
The fact is that the set does not pass any load test correctly.

Thank you for your help, but I don't think I'll find it here.

0 Kudos
Lazadan
Beginner
Same problem here.
-I5 14600KF
-Rise Mode AIO 360 TPD250W
-Grizzly Bear Kryonaut thermal paste reapplied once.
-MB Asus TUF B760M-Plus D4 - Bios Default
It immediately reaches 100ºC when the start button on the occt is pressed in the standard stress test configuration. Even with the coolers speed always at maximum. And as soon as the test ends, it returns to 40ºC quickly too.
0 Kudos
HaydarArmagan
Beginner

Same Problem . 

-İntel i5 14600 KF

-Asus Rog Strix B760-G  Gaming DDR5 (Bios Default)

-DeepCool LS520 240mm liquid cooler

-Arctic MX-4 thermal paste

-Corsair 32 GB DDR5 7200 Mhz 

In normal use, temperature values ​​are between 30-38 degrees. However, in any benchmark test, it rises to 90-100 degrees in a short time. I selected Intel Baseline Profile under the AI ​​Tweeker tab in the BIOS settings and changed the TDC Current Limit to Intel's default. When I perform a benchmark test by following this method, the processor temperature values ​​seem healthy between 68 and 84. However, I experience FPS drops in games like this.  Has anyone found any solution?

0 Kudos
pressed_for_time
New Contributor I

The Intel Baseline Profile as implemented by ASUS is mainly aimed at stability. It turns off any form of Multi-Core Enhancement and this can have an impact on performance. I think you should consider reverting to the previous BIOS for your board - 1645.

This BIOS was the second of two revisions aimed at optimizing the IA Current Excursion Protection (IA CEP) setting when this is set to Disabled. IA CEP can be found in the BIOS at Advanced->Ai Tweaker->Internal CPU Power Management and as I say set this to Disabled.  At Advanced->Ai Tweaker->Internal CPU Power Management set the Long and Short Duration Package Power Limits to 181. For stability reasons I set Advanced ->Platform Misc Configuration->PCI Express Native Power Management to Disabled.

I am not a fan of stress tests beyond running them briefly to establish that a setup is stable. Because they do run the CPU absolutely flat out you will always see high temperatures and potentially thermal throttling. For some people the BIOS arrangement set out above helps in this situation, for others it does not. But it could be worth trying. As ever with BIOS updates it is advisable to install the latest Intel chipset driver from the ASUS web  site (don't worry about the date of it) and the Intel Management Engine Interface driver - in that order - first.

HaydarArmagan
Beginner

I think the problem is gone . Disabled IA CEP and Disable PCI Express Native Power Management now temperatures are more stable and FPS is at normal values ​​in games.

0 Kudos