Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14656 Discussions

I7 14700k PL1=253W invalid?

Gab4
Beginner
I7 14700K, asus tuf gaming b760m plus wifi, bios 1656 intel base line settings.
PL1=PL2=253W but P/E multicore throttle at 172W. Why?
IccMax 260A unadjustable.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
pressed_for_time
New Contributor I

This is an Asus BIOS issue, specifically how the Intel Baseline Profile is implemented by them. The Power Limit throttling at the default settings is normal. Asus do not lock PL1 or PL2, and users are free to set higher settings which will remove the multicore throttling observed in the XTU stress test. This does mean departing from the Intel recommended settings.

As part of the Intel Baseline Profile Asus have set "IA TDC Current Limit" to "Intel's Default" which results in the limit of 260A. On Asus B760 motherboards the alternative setting is "AUTO". But this has no effect, so the "AUTO" setting seems to be the same as "Intel's Default".

As I understand it, the IBP is a stop-gap until a more permanent solution in the form of Intel Default Settings is implemented by way of a further BIOS update. If you have any concerns about the Asus BIOS changes I think you should raise them direct with the motherboard support unit at ASUS.

0 Kudos
Gab4
Beginner
Ok, so PL1=PL2=253W, but cpu start throttling at ~ 170W?
(If I change PL1=PL2=360W, the situation is the same, never goes above 172W, and throttling...)
0 Kudos
pressed_for_time
New Contributor I

Just to be clear I have used the Intel XTU Stress Test and the CPU passes after 5 minutes. The ASUS Auto settings result in a warning about Power Limit Throttling. If PL1=PL2=253 is set the Power Limit Throttling warning disappears. But the Current/EDP Limit warning is present in both situations - see the graphics below NOTE: the Max E-Core and P-Core settings varied, so the two screenshots are random samples.

The Current/EDP Limit warning is a result of the BIOS setting "IA TDC Current Limit=Intel's Default", which explains "IccMax=260A". ASUS used to set this by default to 500A plus so the lower limit is part of the Intel Default Profile which is mainly intended to ensure stability. But this is all about ASUS BIOS settings. If you think your BIOS is not working correctly you need to contact ASUS support.

asusb760pl1pl2auto.png

asusb760pl1pl2253.png

0 Kudos
Gab4
Beginner
Thx.
Now I'm waiting the next bios, may bee it will better
0 Kudos