Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14678 Discussions

I7 Sandy Bridge Recall

idata
Employee

So i just purchased the sandy bridge i7 1155 and know im finding out their is a recall

One page says sandy bridge is not affected, but another page uses the terminology that the cougar point with sandy bridge is being recalled

I am really CORNFUSED, PLEASE Help

Do I send it back or not????

0 Kudos
109 Replies
idata
Employee

I would say that there is a good chance of it... not as much the CPU clock, but teh amount of drives and usage and heat and what not in teh system....you may even be the first confirmed case!!! At least your the first person ive seen with it!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have never experienced this with any other platform and just wondered if the high frequencies accelerated the effect. I know Intel has their own tools for stress testing and I assumed it would be something similar to what I am currently doing (Overclocking). It just made sense to me they had to use something like this to simulate/estimate degradation graphs.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey Cpt.Dogfruit are you really the Captain of Dog looking Fruities,because I think you are...Now if these boards are so safe and sound like parsec and yourself why is there going to be compensation for OEM system makers for having bought and what ever they made using intels cougar point chipsets...My,My you all are so dopey and think that us all we'll believe every single hot tempered boy or gay man that may come up on these forums...Please do all studying and make sure that from the start that Doc really did agree with parsec,because I defended Doc at one time...So fly off to the same bed as parsec in the intel camp of crawlers or maybe even intel plants...Enjoy and buy little Cpt.Dogfruit to your hearts delight all of these cougar point chipsets now before they are returned to be repaired,at least buy your favourite motherboards manufacturer brand of the intel cougar point chipset...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sorry Cpt.Dogfruit...I forgot to waste your time more and that is to tell you about the estimated compensation amount that we'll be paid to the OEM system makers...It is around the $87.50 cents mark... Don't forget to BUY,BUY and ENJOY every single faulty cougar chipset motherboard that you can get your hands on from your favorite MoBo brand...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

So Cpt.Dogfruit or may I say not a captain anymore,but just a little fruity...So I have written up the normal posts and you boy is what I call just a trouble maker,joining in with others that do not really understand the complications of what is going on...But again BUY,BUY and ENJOY all your favorite brand name MoBo's you can get before they are returned to be repaired...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Very nice, let's pat intel on the back for not doing their jobs in the first place and then coming forward about it. There is only ONE reason why they came forward and that is because they figured it would be the cheaper option rather than to try to hide and bury their findings. That is the ONLY reason.

Where are we in society today that we have to laude the fact that a company is being honest? They don't get bonus points for this. They screwed up and then put a spin on it and people like you have bought it hook, line and sinker. Congrats to their PR department, but this whole situation stinks and I think their is a whole lot more to this story than we're being told.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I would like to add to one of my posts up above that mentioned the compensation amount...The $87.50 cents is per cougar point chipset to be repaired...Total is around $700 million estimated repair costs which include shipping and a estimated loss of around $300 million profit if it would have been an untroubled launch to the Sandy Bridge and Cougar Point combination...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Funny george that you are spoiling for a fight so much, so much intelligence you have and yet you can still not have a normal conversation or discussion with any one? NO ONE has insulted you or been offensive to you, but you are continually being like that twoards other people who are just putting their opinions across, funny how i just saw another comment of your on another thread,on a subject which you did not have anything usefull to say and suprisingly you were again you were there just to belittle people. Also you should maybe read up so more as you are so keen on the saying... where did you get this little gem from : "estimated compensation amount that we'll be paid to the OEM system makers" From all what i have read the figures you give are for repair and replacement of the 8 million affected chipsets NOT compensation..there is a BIG difference.

Are you by chance just trolling?

So just to recap:

-"Hey Cpt.Dogfruit are you really the Captain of Dog looking Fruities,because I think you are..." "My you all are so dopey and think that us all we'll believe every single hot tempered boy or gay man that may come up on these forums..." "So Cpt.Dogfruit or may I say not a captain anymore,but just a little fruity..." offensive and not particulary useful

-"Now if these boards are so safe and sound like parsec and yourself why is there going to be compensation for OEM system makers for having bought and what ever they made using intels cougar point chipsets.." What compensation??? As you say yourself in a later post the money is for repair and replacements!!!!!

- "ut again BUY,BUY and ENJOY all your favorite brand name MoBo's you can get before they are returned to be repaired..." "Don't forget to BUY,BUY and ENJOY every single faulty cougar chipset motherboard that you can get your hands on from your favorite MoBo brand..." You have no idea what i do or do not buy nor what i even own right this moment. I have never sai go and buy, what i belive parsec, doc and myself are saying is that if you have one already you have options, you do not have to run a round trying to get a witch hunt going, nor if your system is working have to run around yelling for a refund and compensations and god knows what else. I personally don't favour manyu companies or brands if any, all that we were doing is giving our honest opinions on the information that has been provided. I am not defending intel nor criticizing them, the situation is what it is. Just don't think it is fair people go around trolling, bullying and scaremoongering.

Oh, and one other small thing, very bad form indeed to tell people not to give advice on forums in which the whole point is to share and give out advice SPECIALLY when i can find no post at all from yourself when you have given out any useful or relevant advice.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

rickss69, when you say you lost those drives, are they completely non-functional, as in if you reformatted them and tried them they would be non-responsive? Or is it a data corruption issue? What does a Windows error check of the drives tell you, if you are able to run it that is. Of course any problems with your drives is bad, sorry to hear about that. We would like to know if your drives were permanently damaged or not. The official statement from Intel is that there will be no damage to the devices connected to the SATA 2 ports.

Regarding the over-clocking of the CPU contributing to your problems, speculating on that is difficult and the endless scenarios possible probably won't bring us to a definitive answer. On previous Intel CPU/Chipset platforms, I don't recall seeing any problems with the disk I/O system that were related to CPU over-clocking. But in systems like the X58/1366, the ICH10R chip that performs disk I/O duties is not directly connected to the CPU, and it's control and power voltages were not related to those of the CPU.

In Sandy Bridge CPU systems, are any of the CPU voltage settings connected with the H67 or P67 PCH chips? If so, then increasing voltages to the CPU that are common to the PCH could be a factor.

You are more likely seeing the results of "accelerated wear" on the PCH due to your full usage of the SATA ports rather than issues caused by over-clocking. Not that it's your fault, your usage is obviously within what is expected of these chips. Your usage, although at the maximum possible, and the possible early failure of the PCH chip given the known issue does not look good for the failure rate of these chips. From a statistics point of view, given one possible failure out of the millions of chips produced, is not enough to come to any conclusion.

We really need to know if your drives were permanently damaged.

0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

Heat and voltage are the identified accelerates.

Over clocking can generate a lot of heat.

0 Kudos
DSilv11
Valued Contributor III

For the guys back at the begining who started this thread who wanted to confirm if they are impacted or not.

Here is a good quick check in windows to tell you if you have the "Couger Point" chipset you have might have the issue.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-032263.htm http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-032263.htm.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

For a guy who claims to have no affiliation whatsoever with Intel, you sure do use a lot of "we" and "us" statements in this post and it seems like you are awfully concerned with iformation you "need."

Just saying. If you truly don't have any affiliation with Intel, then you probably shouldn't use "we" and "us" statements as it implies that you are!!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

No, the drives are not damaged, just the data on them (OS). I can re-formatt and install again (which I did a couple of times before swapping to new drives). My thinking was the overclocking led to more voltage passing through the chipset which is what I guess to be the cause of the degradation. Heat was not a factor i don't beleive as I run a TEC or phase on the cpu when benching. Everything pretty much on auto in bios except vcore (1.52) and dram (1.70).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

... the use of "we" and "us"... (implies I am affiliated with Intel.) Hmm, I would never have thought that. "We" and "us" simply refers to members of and visitors to Intel's forum and those reading and posting to this thread. "We" also refers to those following, discussing, and concerned about this issue, a general plural term that encompasses me, you, and others, thus "we". I'm sorry if I didn't say "you guys" or "Intel's stuff is busted, they suck!"

Regarding "need", yes, accurate information is necessary and apparently requires broadcasting far and wide multiple times, as I see statements and conclusion being made based on incomplete information, or seemingly none. It would certainly help someone if they understood, for example, that the defective chips will not immediately fail, will happen on the SATA 2 ports only, and the use of the SATA 3 ports is unaffected and therefore recommended for use. Questions are being asked and correct replies are being sought, yes, those people need the information.

Note in the above paragraph, first sentence, I purposefully replaced the words "needed" with necessary, and "needs" with requires.

Is it really the terms I use that causes your suspiscion, or the style of writing, being more formal, careful and precise?

As a freelance writer, it never fails to amaze me how the innocent intent of a few sentences can be completely missed, and an entirely different interpretation will occur with the reader. Beyond that, the careful use of words and the subtle creation of a tone or feeling in one or more sentences can illicit a response in the reader that goes far beyond the words used and the statements made. Still, an author will not see things in their own words that are as clear as can be to some readers. Facinating, and no offense intended.

I must admit that although I might like to, I don't work for Intel.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Once again parsec we have the misfortune to meet through these posts...To sum things up boy,I have the same feeling as rednekcowboy and more...I really think you are just a sadist or really an intel plant...I buy intel based products,but not many may be manufacturered by Intel itself...You seem to be always saying to keep faulty products and not to return them for some ungodly reason...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sorry riskss69 for not being more exact in the information that I read up in the past 5 days or so,but I have been to many sites,one after another...Anyway on one site I read that as these faulty cougar point chipsets that where shipped on the 9th,January,2011 degrade over time this leads to errors in the bitrate data transfer from these ports...Over time this problem will only get worse...Once again sorry about not getting this sites name at least,but after I come back from getting another mainboard from the same dealer that I returned my Asus P8P67 Deluxe mainboard with the faulty cougar point chipset I will do some searching for this site...I will be getting a P55 model only or maybe a core i7 870 cpu...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ok, good, I'm glad the drives were not damaged, although losing your data or OS is not insignificant.

I was thinking along the same lines as you are as to what caused the chipset to expire quickly. It might also be that you used all or most of the SATA 2 ports as well as the overclocking. Doc did make a good point about the heat generated by OCing, which is exactly what Intel said accelerates the failure of these chips, but I figured you knew that and took care of it since you are a vetran over-clocker.

I still wonder if the heatsinks used on the H67/P67 chipsets are to small. The specs say they dissipate about six watts max, and have the usual 100+ degrees C max temperature that all the Intel chipsets seem to have. One H67 mother board picture I saw just had a flat, fin-less heatsink on the chip, but six watts is not much. For comparison, the X58 chip used with socket 1366 CPUs, has a max TDP of 24 watts, but they are quite different then the 6x chipsets. I have many case fans in my 1366 PC, and my X58 still runs at about 55C.

On another subject, what do you think about the SATA 3 speeds on that PC? Do you have any 'drives that can really try them out, and run any tests on them? Any RAID arrays keeping them busy?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

My point is quite simple and is unchanged by your statements. You are on an Intel forum, speaking as though you have some authority and using the terms "we", "us", and advising as to what you "need" from someone else describing an issue they are having.

It is well known that companies often have persons that are affiliated with them in some way on their forums as moles to defend and try to discredit that forums posters if they get to close to hitting the nail on the head. I know of one certain computer manufacturer who actually had people working in shifts and the two of them outright admitted that while they didn't work for this manufacturer, they worked for another company and that company worked for that manufacturer. On another, the person would get "freebies" from the manufacturer. He technically did not work for that company, but he definitely benifitted by doing what he did.

All I'm saying is that you have been accused of this and have denied it, but using statements like those listed above, would lead one to contrue other ideas about your true intentions on this board and you should chose your words carefully.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I see no need to change my writing style, as interpretations are subjective, and I stand by all my previous statements. As any working writer can tell you, there will always be people that see things in a piece that were not intended to be there, as well as honestly not there.

I imagine your statements about forum "plants" are true, although I have not personally experienced that. But the converse can also occur, where a competitor will purposefully post negative comments in the forums of their business adversaries. How do we know who anyone posting in forums really is and whether or not they have an agenda? That is simply the nature of unfiltered and uncensored forums.

In this forum, Intel personnel can be identified by their nickname that contains the word "Intel". Intel does not seem to filter or censor posts, as there are many negative ones here that may be read.

The suggestion that a certain style or form of writing is inappropriate or misleading is one thing, but to recommend that style should not be used is a subtle and mild form of censorship.

Unless Intel informs me that I am representing myself as their agent and they want that to stop, I see no need to modify how I write. Representing myself as such has never been, nor is my intent, and IMO I have never done so.

We each have our opinions, and will simply agree to disagree.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Intel admitting that their chipset is faulty in not the right word. Intel is bound by law to disclose any faulty components made & to replace those faulty ones already in circulation. Don't make it sound like Intel is doing us a big favor when actually it's not.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Getting a sandbridge replacement in India is a nighmare. Since 4th July they have had my board (almost new) Although they immediately agreed to replace it, they keep saying it is not in stock. they refuse to give either a refund or an equivalent of what they have in stock. My emails go unanswered and their customercare is a nightmare. They keep promisint it will be sent immediately and nothing happens. Their service centre gives no info except to say that you can go to consumercourt.

Initially when I called them up for a replacement, they said, it would be done in a week. Instead of a total recall, it would have been more effective to find a good way to deal with affected customers, media professionals by offering them a choice of either a small compensation, sata 2 cards etc. What now transpires is a nightmare

Giti

0 Kudos