Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14656 Discussions

Intel Core i7 4770K @ 3.50GHz Haswell 22nm Technology and Windows 11

JamesSeymour
Beginner

For some reason, my CPU isn't acceptable to the Windows 11 upgrade. Windows support stops in October, 2025. So, it looks like I need to change CPUs. My questions are: what would be a good replacement? Also: do I have to re-build anything or is it just "plug and play?"

My current specs are:

Intel Core i7 4770K @ 3.50GHz Haswell 22nm Technology

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH Z87 (SOCKET 1150)

32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)

2048MB ATI AMD FirePro W5000 (ATI)

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Thanks heaps for your help.

James

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, the fact that Microsoft stops providing updates after 10/14/25 doesn't mean that you cannot continue to use Windows 10. You can always pay Microsoft for extended support if you wish, but your 4th gen system is getting really long in the tooth (I have a couple myself).

You need at least an 8th gen system in order to support the security requirements of Windows 11. Personally, I would be looking for at least a 12th gen system.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos
JamesSeymour
Beginner

Hi. Thanks for responding. I had trouble logging back in to the site, but here I am.

What I'm trying to do is to get another CPU that will be compatible with my motherboard and socket. I guess that's possible. It's also possible that Microsoft fixes Windows 11 so that my CPU works, AND it's also possible that Windows 12 comes along and my computer will work. I'm not someone who has to have the latest OS or hardware.

Thanks again.

James

0 Kudos