Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14735 Discussions

Intel Core i9 14900k temperature

AyazTariq
Beginner

I have bought a complete desktop PC with core i9 14900k, 64 GB RAM, Asus Z790 board and Asus Strix LC 360 water cooler, everything is new and in full working condition 

I usually use pc for photogrammetry processing.

when the processor load is 100% temperature suddenly touches 100 degrees within a second and if I hit pause processing it comes to 32 degrees instantly how is this even physically possible? is a 100-degree temperature normal?

Fans of the Asus water cooler start rotating very fast and suddenly slow with processor usage.

I've turned on "enforce all limits" from the bios menu

now there is not much difference still hits 100 degrees and there are instant temperature changes like 72, 98, 85, etc, also fan's behaviors are very weird (fast spin slow spin, fast spin slow spin)

how temperature can go 72 to 96 and then 96 to 68 within milliseconds?

please advise

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

For many generations, Intel processors have been getting more and more temperature volatile. Changes like you have seen are indeed possible and are perfectly normal, even those that seem to occur in milliseconds. Now, having spikes up to 100c are going to happen; the question is whether your cooling system is keeping up with the temperatures. If you run an intensive app, the temperature may spike at the beginning to as high as 100c, but over time your cooling system should pull the temperatures down to more reasonable levels. Most cooling solutions are dependent upon the motherboard and its fan controllers to control the pump and radiator fans. You should be using the configuration capabilities of these fan controllers to dampen the response so that fan surging is not occurring.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
AyazTariq
Beginner
Yes the app Agisoft Metashape is very intensive in load,
How long it is safe to be constantly at 100 degree for cpu ?
What will happen if temp stays 100 for hours and days ?
0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello @AyazTariq

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.

We understand you your concern about the temperatures of your Intel® Core™ i9-14900K Processor, and we will be more than happy to assist you.

As @n_scott_pearson mentioned, having temperature spikes, or having high or maximum temperatures while running a workload such as Agisoft Metashape isn't necessarily cause of concern.

Intel processors constantly monitor their temperature and can rapidly adjust their frequency and power consumption to prevent overheating and damage.

From the report we noticed that your system is not up to date, we highly recommend having the latest versions of BIOS (1603) and the operating system (Start > Settings > Windows Update).

Best regards,

Jose B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello AyazTariq

We hope you are doing fine. 

Were you able to update your BIOS and operating system? 

Let us know if you still need assistance. 

Best regards,  

Jose B.   

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello AyazTariq, 

I was checking your thread and noticed that I have not heard back from you. I’m going to close your post, but if you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to create a new thread. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos