Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14674 Discussions

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility

Timlab55
Beginner

I asked this question but had to leave, now I'm back.  I'm asking why does my CPU go into "Current/EDP Limit Throtting"?  My 1st question is, when running a program and the processor goes into this state, and stays there, does it hurt the CPU?  2nd Question:  Why does my CPU go into this state of "Current/EDP Limit Throttling" only when I go into the power plan and chose "HIgh Performance"?

My system is:

CPU:  Intel I9-11900K, my motherboard is ASUS Z-590-e, PSU is 800 watts.

Thank you

Dan

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Timlab55  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I will do my best to assist you here. 

There can be multiple reasons why the current/EDP throttling is set on the processor. Three common reasons are listed below: 

• Processor Core IccMax is set too low in the Intel® XTU. 
  • VR (voltage regulator) current limit is set too low in BIOS. Different motherboard OEMs may have different names for this control. Contact your motherboard vendor. 
  • The motherboard is not able to provide high enough current for the given processor. Pairing a low-power motherboard with a very high Thermal Design Power (TDP) chip can cause current/EDP throttling, even with current limits set to the maximum. 

You can check this and more information in the Current /EDP Limit Throttling and Power Limit Throttling Indicators in the Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility article. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
Timlab55
Beginner

Thank you for those answers.  However, how do you fix them?  I have no clue on how to do it.  

Thank you

Dan

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Timlab55  

Thank you for your reply. The recommendations are related to the reasons why this happens but I will try to provide more details, please read carefully: 

• Processor Core IccMax is set too low in the Intel® XTU. Many Motherboard manufacturers set their configuration to default for stable usage and even some include a power limit that can be different from CPU.  

We recommend keeping it on default, however, contact your System Manufacturer for further assistance to change it to see if it helps.  

In any case, make sure the system has a sufficiently powerful cooling solution before adjusting this, as it can have a substantial impact on the heat your CPU generates.  

• VR (voltage regulator) current limit is set too low in BIOS. Different motherboard OEMs may have different names for this control. Contact your motherboard vendor to set it properly in BIOS.  

• The motherboard is not able to provide high enough current for the given processor. Pairing a low-power motherboard with a very high Thermal Design Power (TDP) chip can cause current/EDP throttling, even with current limits set to the maximum.  

Make sure you have a compatible thermal solution, for this, you can check the following article: How to Choose Thermal Solutions for Intel® Core™ Boxed Desktop Processor 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Timlab55
Beginner

Hey Jocelyn M;

Thank you very much for that information, where you could have just said to contact ASUS about what your problem is.  And contacting ASUS about any problem is a joke.  And I'm actually surprised that Intel can't give me define answers on how to correct the problem.  Is there a reason for this?

Dan

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Timlab55  

Thank you for your reply.  

As previously explained, these values are set up by the System Manufacturer or these changes are made in the BIOS, and this is out of our scope as we don't manufacture these systems. 

Once again, our only intention is to assist you the best we can, but there are certain steps that go beyond our capabilities since we do not know the BIOS settings, for example. 

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @Timlab55  

As we have not heard back from you, we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional assistance, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

0 Kudos