Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14657 Discussions

Intel Heat Sink and Fan Repalcement

pic24
Beginner

I want to replace my heat sink and fan on my Intel Core i5 2400 3.10GHz.

My old heat sink and fan was as follows:

E97378-001

CNDP0386L60

DTC-DAA08

12VDC 0.60A

DELTA

I purchased the following new heat sink and fan:

E97378-001

CNDP446K50

DTC-DAA15

12VDC 0.60A

DELTA

Is this new fan and heat sink compatible with my processor?

Brian

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, it is not. CNDP446K50 is a 65W cooler, but your processor requires a 95W cooler.

...S

0 Kudos
pic24
Beginner

I thought wattage doesn't make a difference on fans, it just means the newer fans are running more efficient, by using less wattage.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
In this case, the heatsink-fan can only dissipate the heat generated by a 65W processor. It can not dissipate the heat of a 95W processor.
In reality, at most times, this heatsink-fan could probably handle the heat from the processor, albeit with a higher fan speed. The concern would be times when the processor has a higher - and sustained - load. In these cases, even with the fan at full speed, it isn't going to be able to dissipate the heat being generated. The heat will build up and raise the processor temperature to higher levels, possibly damaging the processor over time.
...S
0 Kudos
pic24
Beginner

Thanks Scott.  I also have in my possession the following intel fan and heat sink:

E98290-002

CNDP825Z20

DTC-DAD06

12VDC 0.46A

DELTA

Would this be a better option?  I looked for wattage on this fan but couldn't find it.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
I too could not find it's wattage. Hopefully ICS has more information...
...S
0 Kudos
JayB_Intel

Hello pic24,

Unfortunately, the interactive technical support for Intel® Core™ i5-2400 Processor is already at End of Interactive Support(EOIS) and has been discontinued. Due to this product being discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, but perhaps fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help. You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request. Thank you for understanding.

Best regards,

Jay B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos