Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
15639 Discussions

Intel ME Firmware Linux

smitty-77
Beginner

Can some one please advise if updating the ME firmware is an essential security requirement for systems that use Linux only.    There seems to be confusion in various places regarding this.  Some say it is not required if one is using Linux, Others seem to say is is necessary to upgrade the firmware  and other say to disable it.  I have read that someone suggested the ME firmware in Linux was taken care of in the Kernel. .   If one is interested in making sure ones system is secure then does it need to be done?

Next if is is required to be done how is it done on a Linux only system? 

I have a couple of ASUS mother boards   Prime Z790-P  with a  i7 13 Gen processor   and a ASUS prime Z690-Plus-D4 with a i7 12 Gen processor.   Both run Fedora 38

In both cases ASUS's support says there is a ME firmware update for each and that the ME firmware should be updated before the BIOS is updated .  Problem is they only provide Windows files to do this.  When asked about how to do it for Linux, they said " contact Intel"    Seemed a bit odd as Intel indicate that perhaps some mother board manufacturers may include some things specific to their mother board.

So my question.  How does one update the ME firmware on a Linux only system?

I would be grateful if this could be cleared up so there is no confusion and then get some support to ensure the systems are secure!!  Where can I fine the Linux support

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @smitty-77

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. We would be more than glad to help you with your issue.

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details.

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
IsaacQ_Intel
Employee

Hello @smitty-77

Thank you for your patience.

According to our information, we don't provide Intel® Management Engine drivers on our Download Center for third-party systems (and therefore we don't assist with installation on third-party systems) you have to contact their manufacturers for the latest updates and technical support information.

We recommend contacting ASUS for proper support and assistance regarding this behavior and these inquiries to know if the firmware is needed on your system.

We will proceed to close it. Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding. 

Best regards,

Isaac Q. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos