Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14534 Discussions

Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool, Brand string test fail and temperature monitor fail

ANovi3
Beginner

Hello!

I have a problem with Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool 64bit 4.1.0.27.w.mp on windows 10 64bit

my configuration

Motherboard Asus P5LD2 (bios last possible v1903 official non-beta)

Processor Pentium D945 SL9QQ

while test this system by IPDT all tests are pass except brand string test that is fail and temperature monitor fail

log from CPU temperature monitor branch:

--- Temperature Test ---

Version 1.0.18.64b.W

Digital sensor is not supported.

..not inside 0xBB --

Temperature not supported.

Test Result - FAIL

Please check your Processor Thermal SolutionExpected Greater than 1 degrees below max

Received 0 degrees below max

--- Temperature Test ---

Version 1.0.18.64b.W

Entering run forever

monitoring of the temperature works fine in bios and third party software developer on Windows 10, and the temperature not more then 58C in 100% CPU burn, thermal control (throtling) works fine from 80C (according to AIDA64)

also i have changed all settings in bios that required utility from help paper

actualy i have not much of them:

max cpuid value - disabled

thermal monitor - enabled

c1 control - enabled

speed step - disabled

microcode updation - enabled

execute disable bit - enabled

What does actually that mean, brand string test fail and temperature monitor fail? if the IPDT does not recognise the temperature, so bios (and other soft from Win10) may show the temperature on Mars or Moon but not from CPU?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It's simple; your processor is so old that the tool does not (completely) support its testing.

On your processor, the Brand String test is definitely going to fail (it didn't support a brand string!) and, because your processor had no DTS (digital temperature sensors) on die, it is going to fail the temperature tests.

...S

View solution in original post

3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It's simple; your processor is so old that the tool does not (completely) support its testing.

On your processor, the Brand String test is definitely going to fail (it didn't support a brand string!) and, because your processor had no DTS (digital temperature sensors) on die, it is going to fail the temperature tests.

...S

ANovi3
Beginner

Thank you! I thought in that direction too, but it is upset that Intel does not explain this (supporting CPU family by each test) in documentation to IPDT

Anyway, thank you very much!

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You're welcome - and I agree; they should be doing a quick test to see if a feature is supported before they try to test it. It's not like they don't know how to check...

...S

0 Kudos