Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14816 Discussions

Intel Speed Select

Greg8
Beginner

Hi,

I need 2x high-end Intel Xeon SP Gen4 in a server to give me a total of 20 cores on a Windows 2019 server. The problem is the 4th Gen processors only have a 10-core Silver processor and I need something with higher clock speeds.

I am looking at the Intel Gold 6444Y processor which has Intel Speed Select. There are three performance profiles - (0) 16 cores at 3.6GHz, (1) 12 cores at 3.6GHz and (2) 8 cores @ 3.8 GHz. 

The question is are you able to edit the performance profiles to change the core counts so I could select profile (1) but only activate 10-cores per processor which would give me 20-cores @3.6GHz in total?

Also, how does Windows licensing work with these processors, do all 16-cores per processor have to be licensed or only the 10-active cores?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Greg8,

Thank you for posting on the Intel communities. I am sorry to hear that you are having problems changing the performance profiles for the Intel® Xeon® Gold 6444Y Processor, I will be happy to help you.  

I will transfer this case to the correct team, and you will be helped as soon as possible.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Allan_A_Intel

Dear Greg8,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your server configuration requirements. I appreciate your enquiry, and I assure you that I will do my best to assist you in finding the answers to your questions. I will investigate the specifications and licencing details thoroughly to determine the feasibility of the desired configuration.

Please allow me some time to conduct the necessary research. I will provide you with a comprehensive response to address your concerns and offer guidance on the best course of action.

Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention. If you have any additional questions or further details to share, please feel free to let me know. I am here to help.

Best regards,

Allan

0 Kudos
Allan_A_Intel

Hello Greg8,

Thank you for your patience. When it comes to managing Intel SpeedSelect features, most Linux flavours offer a built-in tool. However, it's important to note that the Linux operating system must be using a supported kernel version, with the minimum requirement being version 5.3.

In terms of BIOS configuration, there are two modes available for enabling dynamic or static Intel SST-PP (Intel Speed Select Technology Power Profile) on the system. These modes allow you to control the performance profiles of the processors.

Currently, the available information regarding Intel SpeedSelect is primarily focused on its usage with Linux operating systems. For more detailed information on how to manage Intel SpeedSelect features on Linux, I recommend referring to the documentation provided by the official Linux kernel organisation at this link: https://docs.kernel.org/admin-guide/pm/intel-speed-select.html.

If you have any specific questions or need further assistance, please let me know.

Thank you,

Allan

0 Kudos
Allan_A_Intel

Hello Greg8,

I hope you're doing well. I wanted to check in and make sure you received the information about managing Intel SpeedSelect features on your system. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please let me know.

Thank you,

Allan

0 Kudos
Allan_A_Intel

Hello Greg8,

I haven't received a response from you, so I'll be closing this inquiry. If you require additional help, please feel free to create a new post with your question.

Best regards,

Allan A.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos