Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14573 Discussions

Intel core2 quad q9300 2.5 change from 32bit to 64bit

idata
Employee

I have a Dell XPS430 with at core2 quad q9300 2.5 processor running windows 7 in a 32 bit mode. I have a Windows 7 64 Bid software and would like to change to the 64Bit operating system.

I would appreciate guidance (sumarized step by step) on what I would do to switch system to 64bit so I can add memory above 4gb. THANKS!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

The Q9300 is capable of running both 32bit and 64 bit OS , Nothing special just Do clean install , If you have the $$$ think about adding a Intel 160GB SSD Now is a good time.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

The Q9300 is capable of running both 32bit and 64 bit OS , Nothing special just Do clean install , If you have the $$$ think about adding a Intel 160GB SSD Now is a good time.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Appreciate the response Robert. You are saying that the processor does not have to be reconfigured to change it to 64Bit and permit greater that 4gb Memory, the clean install of Windows 7 64Bit will automatically change the processor and the system to 64Bit?

Thanks again!!

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

Thats right windows will know that it's a 64bit CPU and the rest is normal , if you want to check it after you install the OS and drivers run update windows , when everything is running good you can go to device manager click computer and it will say X64 if it's a 64bit or X86 if it's a 32bit.Again now is the time to think about a SSD it would make your sys run better than installing a QX9650 extreme.CPU.

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

What motherboard does the XPS430 use ???

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I don't know Robert. Any quick way to find out?

0 Kudos
RGiff
Honored Contributor I

You would have to have the compltet model # and serial # and go to dell and look it up under parts support. , Might take some diggin. I'm going off line now if I can help My Email is public just hover over my name . send me a email tomarrow. Bob

0 Kudos