Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14752 Discussions

Intel i5-8400H Thermal Throttling

Imran_Ali
Beginner

Laptop Model: Dell Latitude 5491

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400H CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.50 GHz

Ram & Storage: 16GB+256GB

Hello there, CPU is being thermal throttled on normal use, and temperature are fluctuating too fast jumping from 57C to 90 after opening just one new edge window. It is really annoying, I even can't play any game on this situation, it's getting throttled and throttled. Temperatures remain above 95C and sometimes touches 100C, and CPU gets throttled.

Fan is working fine and cleaned perfectly, airflow is also fine. I've applied thermal paste yesterday, but no benefit at all.

Note, there is only one fan in the laptop which is connected through heatsink with CPU and GPU.

State on Battery after opening BlueStacks Emulator:

1-On Battery Mode.png

State while Charger is connected. (Opened Same Program)

1-On Charging Mode.png

Fan Speed:                                   Current             Min                Max                Avg

1-Fan Speed.png

Kindly help me to resolve this issue. If you need any other information just let me know.

Thank you. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Imran_Ali,

We appreciate your patience and contribution to the communities. Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay in response. We understand your time is valuable and are working diligently to address your concerns promptly.

Since this is an OEM (Branded Laptop) original equipment manufacturer device, please take into consideration that our support may be limited since we are not familiar with the technology, settings, customizations, custom drivers, and features that the OEM has designed and installed your system, nevertheless, I will do my best to assist you with your concern. To be more familiar with your system, please share with us your SSU logs. Additionally, are there any changes that you have made in your system as well before this issue occurred? I will be waiting for your reply. 

Ramyer M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Imran_Ali
Beginner

Sure, SSU Logs file attached. For the system changes, I haven't made any changes.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Imran_Ali,

Thank you for sharing with us the logs. Upon checking I can confirm that the Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400H CPU maximum temperature is 100 C based on its specification ( Tjunction ). However, since this is a laptop, there are specific customizations and driver configuration that your system requires. I did check your logs and found out that the latest driver from Dell your current configuration have some differences specially with the graphics driver

As such I highly recommend updating to version 31.0.101.2127 and 31.0.15.3827 to check if this will optimize your system. 

If the issue still persists, it is best to reach out to Dell for a more intensive troubleshooting and to understand the system’s normal operating temperature range since this is an Original Equipment Manufacturer Device,

You may also reference this article for more information: My Laptop Seems to Be Overheating

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos
Imran_Ali
Beginner

Hi, I've updated Intel and Nvidia GPU drivers to your recommended versions but same issue, CPU is getting thermal throttled so badly.

0 Kudos
NormanS_Intel

Hello Imran_Ali,

I came across this thread and I just want to provide additional information. Also, I understand how frustrating it can be to deal with overheating and thermal throttling issues, especially when it affects your daily usage and gaming experience. Here are some steps you can take to address the issue:

1. BIOS Update: Ensure that your laptop's BIOS is updated to the latest version. 

2. System Power Settings: Adjust the power settings in your operating system to ensure that it's not set to high performance, which can cause higher temperatures.

3. Check for Blocked Vents: Make sure that the laptop's air vents are not blocked by dust or debris, as this can significantly affect cooling.

4. Ambient Temperature: Make sure the laptop is used in a cool environment and not on soft surfaces that can block air vents.

5. Hardware Check: If none of the above solutions work, there might be an issue with the internal cooling system or other hardware components. 

I recommend reaching out to DELL's technical support team for additional assistance if the problem persists. They are well-equipped to help troubleshoot the issue further. Additionally, I've come across some informative articles from DELL that address overheating and thermal concerns. Please consider reviewing these resources for potential solutions.

Best regards,

Norman S.

Intel Customer Support Engineer

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Imran_Ali,

I am just checking in if you were able to follow our previous recommendation. If the issue still persists, I highly recommend reaching out to DELL's technical support team  for additional assistance. 

Ramyer M.

0 Kudos
Imran_Ali
Beginner

I followed your previous recommendations but unfortunately issue still persist. So, I'm going to contact tech support. Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
RamyerM_Intel

Hello Imran_Ali,

I am sorry to hear about this results. Thank you for following our recommendation to reach out to your Original Equipment Manufacturer as they are best suited to assist you with the laptop.

I will now proceed in closing this thread. Should you need assistance in the future, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

We extend our sincerest wishes for unparalleled success in all your forthcoming endeavors

Ramyer M. 

0 Kudos