Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14589 Discussions

Is it really sufficient to remove old thermal paste with a dry cloth?

idata
Employee

Hi, what's the proper way to remove old thermal paste from the CPU? According to this Intel article I should just use an old dry cloth http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-030329.htm Desktop — How to apply Thermal Interface Material (TIM), (see step 1) but is that really how to do it? Everywhere I look I see different answers to this..use makeup remover, nail polish remover pads, isopropyl alcohol, acetone, rubbing alcohol and so on, but many of these "experts" also advice against using because it'll leave some residue behind. So how should I do it?

I am going to switch the stock cooler with the Corsair H55 and it already has thermal paste applied, so it's only the CPU I have to remove the paste from.

Also, should I take out the CPU or leave it in the socket?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Certainly if removing the stock heatsink, a dry cloth or even paper towel is fine. What you'll find on the processor is dry and comes right off. Just keep wiping the surface until the top of the chip is totally clean. No need to remove the processor. The new HSF may require you remove the entire motherboard unless your case has an opening under the processor socket to attach the backer plate.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I see, thank you

I've got a Fractal R4 so no worries about removing the motherboard fortunately

0 Kudos