Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14405 Discussions

It is okay for CPU to reach 90+ C?

Techguy45
Beginner

In the past couple of days I monitor my CPU temperature and when it on heavy work load like redering, the CPU temp go beyond 80 or sometime even 90 degree celsius.

Is this kind of normal? or I need to change any of my hardware?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You should replace it when you start to see your average idle temperatures rising or loaded temperatures reaching close to Tjmax (~100c)

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

you have told us nothing.

So we can have more information about your system, Download, run, and save the results of this utility as a text file:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Then ATTACH the text file using the instructions under the reply window ( Drag and drop here or browse files to attach ).

Doc

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User
You didn't mentioned what CPU you are using. However, I can confirm that usually the maximum permissible CPU junction temperature is 100 C. So, 80-90 Deg C under heavy load seems to be normal.
Leon
0 Kudos
Techguy45
Beginner

I'm using i5-8400 for about 3 years

I have been reading about the thermalpaste, how often do I need to replace it? and will it reduce my cpu temperature? I never replace it since I got this PC.

Thanks for the helps

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You should replace it when you start to see your average idle temperatures rising or loaded temperatures reaching close to Tjmax (~100c)

...S

0 Kudos
Techguy45
Beginner

Any recommended thermalpaste? Found a lot of brand when I'm searching on internet.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User
0 Kudos
btimofte
New Contributor I

In 100% full load on all cores is OK , specially in a closed case. If it gets close to 99degrees you need to take measure , like 95+ degrees since it will throttle

0 Kudos