Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14573 Discussions

My computer bluescreens on startup with a machine check exception

TPalm
Novice

@My computer bluescreens on startup with a machine check exception. I'm running an i5-6600k, with 16 gigs of ram on an asus z170-a. I've checked the ram, and removed the video card to no avail.

15 Replies
AlHill
Super User

And, what is the Microsoft blue screen information?

What operating system?

How long has your computer been doing this?

Have you made any changes prior to the blue screen?

What other hardware do you have installed, even on the USB ports?

Have you installed any new applications prior to the blue screens?

What are your memory specifications?

Are you at the correct BIOS level?

Have you checked with ASUS regarding this exception?

Are you overclocking or overheating?

Do you have this problem when using Safe Mode?

Doc

0 Kudos
TPalm
Novice

The blue screen does not say anything other than machine check exception then immediately reboots. It also attempts to automatically repair the issue, but that blue screens as well.

I'm running Windows 10 anniversary.

It was running fine until yesterday, froze once while in use, and has not made it past the windows screen since.

No changes made prior to the blue screen except updating my GTX 970 to its most current driver a week ago.

I've tried with nothing plugged in except a monitor, removed the graphics card, removed a stick of ram, tested all the slots.

The last application I installed was a video game off of steam over a week ago.

I'm running two sticks of DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2133MHz

Yes, I updated BIOS to its most recent version.

I made a similar post on ASUS forums as well, as I am not sure what specifically is causing the error.

All fans are working correctly, and not overheating. I am running default settings with no overclocks.

Can not access safe mode before it blue screens.

Thank you,

Tim

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Do you have another disk drive that you can use to do a test install? I am thinking your current boot drive has a problem or is possibly corrupt.

Doc

0 Kudos
TPalm
Novice

I am using a hard drive to boot from. I put my current hard drive into an older computer and it boots up fine. However, using a different hard drive to boot up from, it still blue screens at the same time.

The only thing I haven't tried is reinstalling windows again.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

If you put your current drive (which was built with the i5-6600k and asus z170-a board, right?) on the old setup, then it should not boot fine on an older board and presumably a different processor.

If you moved the boot drive from the older computer to the new hardware, I would not be surprised to see what you are experiencing.

This sounds like a bsod during the boot, perhaps caused by missing drivers for specific chipset and/or processor hardware.

If you have your data backed up, I would certainly try a fresh/clean install on the new hardware.

Doc

0 Kudos
TPalm
Novice

Alright I will give it a try, thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Report back with the results. Hope it goes well.

Doc

0 Kudos
TPalm
Novice

Attempted to reinstall windows on a new hard drive, it still blue screens the moment it begins to load windows.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

The process of booting the install media, and doing the install, went ok? Then, when booting the installed os, it blue screens? Is this correct?

Do you have access to another board that can use your processor?

Sorry for all the questions. Remote diagnosis on something like this is difficult.

Doc

0 Kudos
TPalm
Novice

The loading bar came up then crashed on the ASIS logo would not go any farther. Started rebooting again.

0 Kudos
TPalm
Novice

Sorry and do not have another mother board that will except this type of processor.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Well, unless someone else here has a suggestion, I would try having the motherboard replaced.

Sorry I cannot help more. If you do get it working (even on another board), please respond back.

Doc

0 Kudos
TPalm
Novice
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello:

Thank you very much to Al Hill for the information provided previously.

To cowboybear:

Thank you very much for joining the Intel® processors communities.

I hope the information provided before was useful and helpful for you.

In this case as it was mentioned before, you basically tried all the troubleshoot steps that we recommend for this scenario.

The next thing to do will be to swap parts, but since that option is not available, then to replace the board will be the best thing to do for this scenario, please get in contact directly with ASUS if you are interested in that option:

ASUS phone number: 1 812-282-2787

ASUS support site: https://www.asus.com/us/support/ https://www.asus.com/us/support/

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello cowboybear:

I just wanted to check if the if the information posted previously was useful for you, if you were able to get in contact with ASUS to replace the board and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards

Alberto

0 Kudos